Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

can some explain.....

Old 11-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default can some explain.....

the pros and cons of what I might see with these calibers. What are my "tradeoff's"
This may seem simple to most people on the forum but I am not so informed. I am trying to make a good purchase.

I posted this about "picking the right caliber" http://forum.hunting.net/bbs/topic.a...86&FORUM_ID=15

DG mentioned...."The 300 is a proven performer without all the recoil and a full selection of 30 cal bullets. Ammo can be purchased of the shelf anywhere. "

Is this a .300 WinMag?

I got votes for these calibers and I am trying to realize what I gain from each.

.22-250
Win 6.5 x 55
Roberts .25-06
.280Rem
7mm Rem Mag
.300 WinMag

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to explain it.
Bill
Old 11-07-2002, 11:48 AM

Default RE: can some explain.....

You said that you wanted a little more punch than the 30-06 your dad owns...so I would recommend the 300 Win Mag only because it has been around a long time and the ammo will probably be more readily available than the new kids on the block, (i.e. the SAUM's and WSM)
As DG said the range of bullet choices are better as well.
If you reload, a range of 110gr-250gr bullets atleast.
I don't personally own a 300 Win Mag, but I have shot them before and was satisfied with the accuracy and recoil. I own a 300 Wby Mag which is similar and love it.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

For all the reasons Doublejs said, I would get the 300 Win mag.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use the 300 Mag. from Small Game up to Brown Bear. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

What is the difference between a .300 Win Mag and a .300 WSM?

Old 11-08-2002, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

The full-size .300 Win. Mag. has a greater powder capacity, and can be loaded to give higher velocities with the same bullets, or the same velocities at lower pressures, than can the .300 WSM!! However, the .300 WSM can be built in a smaller, lighter rifle than the .330 Win. Mag. This is an advantage when building a hunting rifle.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 11-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

How can a few ounces difference in weight make that much difference in a hunting rifle .Sounds more like a sales pitch by the developer than a real advantage to hunting.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:31 PM

...I think the only difference you would see by putting it in a slightly shorter, lighter rifle is increased recoil... and that's not a good thing. I think the whole " oooh, it's a SHORT action" craze is a little fad-ish..... there's really not a whole lot of difference in a long (30-06 length) action and a short one. Most people wouldn't notice the difference at all, unless someone pointed it out to them. I think the 300 Win Mag would be a good choice for a step up from the 30-06... I just don't care for the belt.. but that's just me..... it's a great cartridge.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 11-08-2002, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

What you gain from having a 6.5x55 Swedish over some of the others is a sweet-shooting, accurate, 300+ yard round that kicks hardly at all. There is a good supply of different types of factory ammo, and it is a handloader's dream, with many bullets available. It also has the "different" label pretty much all sewn up. I doubt you'll see too many of these up in your Northeastern woods (although you should).

It is also quite capable of taking black bears, antelope, caribou, moose and elk.

The .25-06 Rem, as I mentioned in your earlier post, is pretty much capable of taking deer at all reasonable ranges, much like the .270. The recoil is also mild, and there is an ample supply of good factory loads as well as handloader's bullets for this number. You won't see many of these in the Northeast, either, but it isn't quite as cool as a 6.5mm. It will, however, reach out and touch 'em as well as a .270 or 7mm Mag.

By the way, the .260 Rem is for all intents and purposes, identical to the 6.5x55 Swede, and it is available in a short action. I have seen what it and all the other 6.5mm's will do for deer. If you eliminate the .270 Win from the equation, I'd go with a .260 or the Swede without hesitation.

Hope this helps.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting

Edited by - seattlesetters on 11/08/2002 18:27:43
Old 11-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, my two primary hunting rifles for deer on up is a 30-06 and a 6.5x55 swedish, depending on what I feel like carrying that day. If you reload you have quite a varied selection of bullets available for both calibers, from varminter up to big game as well as target bullets. The 6.5 is a long slender bullet from 85gr up to 160gr from a variety of manufacturers, bucks the wind extremely well and sectional density is really high. Now the .308 bullets will go up to 220gr. The swede is light on recoil and performs as long as you do your part. Either way you have a very capable gun.

Quick Reply: can some explain.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.