Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

can some explain.....

Old 11-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: can some explain.....

[quote]
...I think the only difference you would see by putting it in a slightly shorter, lighter rifle is increased recoil... and that's not a good thing. I think the whole " oooh, it's a SHORT action" craze is a little fad-ish..... there's really not a whole lot of difference in a long (30-06 length) action and a short one. Most people wouldn't notice the difference at all, unless someone pointed it out to them.

IMHO, I think the greatest advantage of a short action is that it allows a barrel one inch longer in a rifle that is the same overall length as one with a long action. Now if only the big gun makers would listen and start installing 25" barrels on rifles chambered for the WSMs, we might be on to something in the way of a performance gain with less recoil than traditional long-action magnums.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting

Edited by - seattlesetters on 11/09/2002 21:41:16
Old 11-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

How did the 22-250 get into the list...I mean in certain situations it would be ok with the proper bullet and precise shot placement but It really has no place here.

I think any of the cartridges you have on the list will do the trick and have done the trick for at least the last 40-50 years or longer. It boils down to personal preference...I have gone thru many rifles and after all this time am torn between what to bring on what hunt. It's crazy and I am as guilty of this as anyone else. I have a aquaintance who lives in Idaho and is an avid hunter as well as hunting guide in Wyoming during the Deer/Elk Season. The man bought a remington 700 bdl when he graduated from high school and has taken Elk every year in Idaho and Wyoming and who knows where else...truckloads of Mule Deer and Antelope, Black Bear and a Dall Sheep in Alaska. He bought the gun in the late 60's and it's his last gun..Choice of liber 30-06. When I think about him and his choice it kind of makes my choices so frivolous. I wish i were more like him in that regard.

In short go to a well stocked gun store and pickup every darn rifle that is chambered in the above calibers and comes from a reputable maker. Make sure it fits you well and you like the weight and balance on it. Rest assured that you will probably have to adjust the trigger and may or may not have to bed the action and make other small adjustments. Then shoot it until it becomes second nature.

6.5 x 55 ...light recoiling understated slayer of all size game including Elk and Moose...Thousands of Moose are killed by this gun in the Scandinavian countries every year and this is the predominant gun. Handloading proposition for the most part although Norma and a few more make excellent factory ammo.

257 Roberts ...step below the 25-06 Factory ammo available but not in good supply.

25-06 perfect open area deer and antelope gun also can be used on Bear and limited use on ELK. Factory ammo available.

280 Remington the most underrated cartridge ever conceived...does everyting the 7 mag will with minor exception and has exceptional accuracy. Strictly a Handloading proposition.

7 Rem Mag---most popular big game magnum..shoots flatter than a 06 but has about the same killing power. Great selection of factory ammo

308 not as flat shooting as some of the above but a very accurate round that has a great selection of factory ammo.

300 win mag...very versatile..it is at the recoil limit for the occasional shooter. Huge assortment of factory ammo available.

300 wsm...very versatile also..slightly less recoil than the 300 win mag and comes in a smaller package. Factory ammo currently restricted to Winchester and responds much better with handloads although factory ammo no slouch either.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

280 Remington the most underrated cartridge ever conceived...does everyting the 7 mag will with minor exception and has exceptional accuracy. "Strictly a Handloading proposition."

..."Strictly a Handloading proposition."

What does this mean?

The local bass pro shops has this rifle in stock in a .280 but I have been warned that ammo is hard to find. I found it on the shelf in 2 or 3 different brands.

I am not going to buy multiple rifles I will probably be more like that guy that has been shooting that same '06.

The guy down the street can order the .300 wsm.

I was given the advice to shoot a box of mag cartridges to see if I like it. I think this is good advice. Would this apply to the wsm?
Old 11-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

It means that Federal only has 1 or maybe 2 loads for it and Hornady has 2 loads for it and I think Remington and Winchester have 1 load apiece for it. Certainly not a cartridge that can not be found at the local Walmart. That however does not take away from a tremendous cartridge that is very accurate and versatile. I have killed one Elk medium size bull with one and dead is dead as well as a bunch of deer with it. I did have a guy in the airport tell me that he thought the gun was "too" small for Elk. I needed a 300 win mag I was told.

Nothing wrong with being like that guy that owns the 30-06 he has more common sense than I do and probably saved more money for expensive hunting trips.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the 7mm mag as it shoots flatter than the 30-06 with a little more energy and recoil is milder than the 300 mags.It is also quite common and many loads are available for it.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Might the .300 WSM be light-recoiling enough to let me get into a larger magnum caliber without doing further damage to my already-tender shoulder?

Remember, I can handle the kick of either the 7mm Rem Mag or the .270 Wby Mag, which I find to be about equal. How does the recoil of the .300 WSM compare to these two?

Old 11-15-2002, 06:22 PM

Take a look at the .35 Whelen. If you are presently using a 30-06, You will have plenty of brass to load. Realizing that the ammo isn't very numerous on the shelves, but the gun will take anything on the No. American continent. You can mimic the .35 Remington load for mild load for shooting of smaller game. A good choice of different bullet weights are out there.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

While the .30-06 has been around for almost 100 years, it hasn't been until after WWII that it become popular.....A heck of a lot of troops returning from WWII with a real knowlege of the cartridge and then the selling of a lot of Springfield O-3 and A-3 rifles. Yes some Enfields too and later M1-garands.

A lot of sporting arms was also produced for it and the .30-06 has taken a just place in shooting history.

Fact: a 7MM Mag truly has no advantage over it that can be used in the field except by incredibly few shooters.
Fact: A .300 Win Mag has marginal advantage over it!! Possibly 50 yards of extended range at the most!!
Fact: If you need more muscle than a .30-06, you really need to start looking at the .338 Win Mag and possibly the .375 H&H

It's by no coincidence that it's the most popular cartridge for big game in the world, and it's as good now as it ever was.

Thousands of elephants have been killed by lesser cartridges and in 99.9% of all applications it's used for it's at least 100% overkill.

It really ought to be renemed the .30 Govt. Magnum!!