Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Dont you just hate it when this happens...

Old 05-06-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Dont you just hate it when this happens...

Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Dont you just hate it when this happens...

I hate fliers. I havent measured the group but if that one flier hadnt happend, it would definatly be somewhere around .150 to .2 which would be close to my best of .207"
Old 05-07-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

tell ya whats happens, Im horrible about it too. after the second shot you say to yourself wow!! two touching then on the 3rd shot you try so hard not to mess up the group you end up pulling your shot. ive got alot of targets that look just like yours lol
Old 05-07-2006, 06:10 AM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

tell ya whats happens, Im horrible about it too. after the second shot you say to yourself wow!! two touching then on the 3rd shot you try so hard not to mess up the group you end up pulling your shot. ive got alot of targets that look just like yours lol
Thats exactly what happend
Old 05-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It happens to everyone, I also hate it when trying to do the same with a 5 shot group. The first 4 are great, then on the last everything goes to crap and I have a flyer.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 4570MGR

Yep. When I get two this close, I'm actually very hesitant to fire No.3. It doesgreat harmto look at the group before you've shot all three......
Old 05-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I accept all shots as part of the group and do not refer to them as fliers unless something obvioushappens that I notice before seeing where the shot impacted.Below is a link to three consecutive groups that I fired one morning while developing loads with one of my 300ultramags.The best group was .080" but I don't call the gun a .080" gun or myself a .080" shooter.I accept the so called fliers as part of the group and then take the average of my groups.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/stubblejumper11/300ultramaggroups.jpg
Old 05-07-2006, 04:20 PM

Stubblejumper is right - there are certain loads in certain rifles that will just throw a flier every so often - even from a machine rest. I did an extensive test back in the 1980's with a match grade AR-15. Made up a grid with all available 55 grain bullets across the top, and all suitable powders across the left column. Drew the checkerboard and triedone 5 shot group with each combination. About 400 shots later, culled out all loads that shot over .7". Took the remaining loads and fired five consecutive five-shot groups. Came up with four loads that wouldaverage under 1/2". Of these four, three would wander around a little in terms of point of impact from day to day - depending on the weather. One load shot to the same spot every time. That load was 27.5 of BL-C(2) with a 55 grain Sierra flat base spitzer. I know it was a lot of work; but don't you just love it when this happens.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

As I've gotten older and hopfully a bit wiser, I only shoot 3 shot groups when I'm sighting in. Then use the center of the group to adjust the sights as necessary. To determine a rifle/load's accuracy you should shoot 5 shot groups. Even 10 shot groups are probably better. I usually shoot 5 shot group, then clean and repeat.
I'm not into competition shooting any more and under the hunting conditions my rifles will be faced with, I most likely will be shooting from a clean (or semi clean) barrel.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Same thing happens to me with 5 shot groups. After getting three great shots, about half the time I'll botch #4 or #5.

Quick Reply: Dont you just hate it when this happens...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.