Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Max Ch. Pressures, Carbine vs. Pistol

Old 04-10-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Max Ch. Pressures, Carbine vs. Pistol

I'm looking into the reloading potentials of the cartridges to decide whether or not to go .44 mag or 45-70 and have ran across a question. I know that the marlin 94 actions are strong...but these loads from Garrett and Buffalo Bore say to use only in "Dan Wesson, Ruger double actions...etc" There's never mention of the marlin chambers. Are the Marlins actions so stronger than these heavy built revolvers? Same? or no where close. Most of my loads will be plinking/target loads but I want to know what my ceiling is so I can get a better idea of just hot I can load that ole .44 mag...and then see how that stacks up against the 45-70

(I do know the 45-70 is far and away 'more gun'.)
Old 04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Max Ch. Pressures, Carbine vs. Pistol

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

I'm looking into the reloading potentials of the cartridges to decide whether or not to go .44 mag or 45-70 and have ran across a question. I know that the marlin 94 actions are strong...but these loads from Garrett and Buffalo Bore say to use only in "Dan Wesson, Ruger double actions...etc" There's never mention of the marlin chambers. Are the Marlins actions so stronger than these heavy built revolvers? Same? or no where close. Most of my loads will be plinking/target loads but I want to know what my ceiling is so I can get a better idea of just hot I can load that ole .44 mag...and then see how that stacks up against the 45-70

(I do know the 45-70 is far and away 'more gun'.)
I seriously doubt that those loads would destroy a Marlin lever action, but heavily constructed revolvers with 5-shot cylinders, and the 6-shot Ruger Suoper Redhawk, are stronger than ANY lever-action rifle that has a rear lockup, like the Marlins and M 94 Winchesters have. That said, I have used old Elmer Keith's "standard .44 Mag. load" of 22.5 grains of Hercules 2400 and a Keith-type 250-grain cast semiwadcutter bullet for years in a Win. M94 .44 Magnum with no problems at all. And I believe the Marlins are stronger..... If you keep the MV's downaround 1450 FPS or less (handgun) or 1700 (rifle)with 250-grain bullets, you should not be straining thatrifle at all.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was reading in the Lyman manual and they say chamber oressure limits for the 44 Mag are the same for rifle or pistol. But barrel length would favor the rifle for velocity.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:29 PM

[/quote]

If you keep the MV's downaround 1450 FPS or less (handgun) or 1700 (rifle)with 250-grain bullets, you should not be straining thatrifle at all.
[/quote]

Thankd eldequello. I'm not worried about these kinds of loads, garrett makes some 310 or 330grain bullets at those speeds though