Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Free float barrel

Old 12-25-2005, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Free float barrel

The best way to bed one of these plastic Remington stocks is to install aluminum pillars where the front/rear guard screws go. Although this is best done by a gunsmith, it isn't really all that difficult and could be done by a skilled hobbyist.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:14 PM

Just passing on what a custom rifle maker told me about bedding the factory stock. He builds all kinds of rifles including Marine sniper rifles and has retired Marine snipers try them out.
Kammerdeiner custom guns
1622 Carter ST
Vidalia, LA 71373
John Kammerdeiner Owner/Gun builder
Old 12-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is just plain dumb to free-float a barrel before you find out how it shoots just as it comes out of the box! Some barrels definitely shoot better free-floated, and some don't-every one is different! You cannot know what you've got before you test it. For example, this is a typical group from my 6mm/.284 which has a Douglas Premium grade barrel in a Fajen Myrtlewood stock that has a pressure point "island" in the barrel channel up front. I don't know how it would shoot without the pressure point, but I don't plan on finding out, either!

Old 12-26-2005, 04:27 PM

I probably wouldn't "rock the boat" on that rifle either. But the main issue with having a hunting rifle that is not free floated is that it may shoot a really great group on any given day, but not shoot it in the same spot from day to day and week to week. Not only do wood stocks shrink and swell as humidity and temperatures change, but even sythentic stocks with fore end pressure tend to get stiffer or more flexible with temperature changes - and change the point of impact vertically as the "firmness" of the rest changes. A gun that shoots 2" high at 100 yards from sand bags may shoot 4" high from a Harris Bipod. Free floating helps create a rifle that you can depend on to stay zeroed, even if it doesn't shoot quite as tight of a group as it did with pressure bedding.

PS: Isn't the 6MM-284 an amazing caliber?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:08 PM

Well I free floated the barrel without bedding the stock. With factory ammo itshot about 1.5 inches at 100 yds. Loaded up 47gr of IMR 4350 chasing 140gr Sierra boattails. Went out today and put 5 within an inch and had 3 in that group touching. With the pressure points on the stock it did have a tendency to shoot high after the gun warmed up. I am very happy with the way the gun shoots now. Thanx for all the input.