Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hornady Bullets

Old 12-21-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Hornady Bullets

Ok, I can be beat up over this one because I am closing the gate somewhat after the cattle have left, but I still have questions.

I was at one of my local gun stores last night, and hit the tail end of their sale, due to moving product lines to another store. Dispite my disappointment they are moving all hunting, fishing, camping and other hard goods out of the store and turning it into another socks, boots, shoes, coats, and sportswear store - which is truely disappointing, they did have some big discount sale prices on reloading items.

I ended up buying quite a few boxes of Hornady bullets. Bullets I typically do not use. I haven't used them mostly because I've never memorized what the hornady bullet types are and I don't like the crimping ring they so often have - so I don't know exactly where in the quality line all these hornady bullets belong. Can someone give me a quick primer on what the hornady types are?

Interbond
Interlock
Accubond
SST
V-max - these are Varmit bullets, right?
A-max
Are there others?

What I purchased are:

180 grain 308 cal BTSP Interlocks
140 grain 270 cal BTSP Interlocks
139 grain 284 cal BTSP Interlocks

They were marked down to basically $10.00 a box of 100 bullets. Although many reloaders focus on the upper end of bullet quality, I have tended to use the lower quality end - mostly Sierra's and Speer - I'm not really looking to get into a bullet quality discussion here. I just don't have much knowlege about Hornady bullets - but the Sierra, Nosler and Speer lines were pretty much already gone - I was a week or 2 late on the sale... I kind of wanted to start using Nosler Partitians, seem like a nice middle ground between quality and reasonable price, but there was not a single box of NP left in the store - bummer.

At least I did get 1 box of both Speer and Sierra 284 160 grain bullets, last box they had of each. I was low on inventory of bullets, so I was looking for a sale, just a little late to get exactly what I wanted.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 AM

Default RE: Hornady Bullets

Interbond
Interlock
Accubond
SST
V-max - these are Varmit bullets, right?
A-max

Interbond - bullet core is bonded to the jacket. Supposedly, this will increase penetration and weight retention.

Interlock - Hornady's standard hunting bullet.

Accubond - Nosler's version of the Interbond.

SST - Super Shock Tip. Hornady's answer to the Nosler Ballistic Tip.

V-Max - Hornady's varmint bullet.

A-Max - Hornady's match bullet.

Of course, Hornady offers FMJs, handgun bullets, lead bullets, and a new leveraction spire point.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:03 AM

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Does Hornady have an A frame type bullet design? Something along the lines of the Nosler Partitian? I don't believe the Interbond is an A frame, just uses a bonding method to control expansion, retain weight.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM

No, Hornady does not have an A Frame style bullet. I am hopeful the Interbond will have similar penetration to the Partition. That probably unrealistic of me, since I think the Partition is probably the finest "all around" hunting bullet ever designed.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:45 AM

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the Hornady Interlock Bullets. I have successfully used them in my 7mm Rem Mag and like them.
The 154 gr SP Interlock is one of my all time Pet Loads. The internal band helpscontrol expansion, the design was way ahead of it's time. Now days it cracks me up when others copy that design, make claims of thier bullet being bigger and better. All I can say is ya right.

Don
Old 12-28-2005, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Ought Six

No, Hornady does not have an A Frame style bullet. I am hopeful the Interbond will have similar penetration to the Partition. That probably unrealistic of me, since I think the Partition is probably the finest "all around" hunting bullet ever designed.
Yeper. I tried the SST's....no joy......back to Nosler and Sierra. The SST's and Nosler BT'sat close ranges are spastic....if they don't hit a rib or something they go through a deer like Grant went through Richmond. I like the Nosler's for long range and the Sierras out to 200 yards. Regards, Rick.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The SST's and Nosler BT'sat close ranges are spastic....if they don't hit a rib or something they go through a deer like Grant went through Richmond
The greatest fear with ballistic tips at close range is that they will overexpand.I have yet to see one not expand whether or not bone was struck.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:06 AM

I've had nothing but good results with the Hornady SST's in 7mm-08 and 14" 7-30Waters139grs. and wby 257mag. in 117grs..all loads as close as 4 steps to 30yds.