Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bullet depth - Stoney point 30-06

Old 10-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bullet depth - Stoney point 30-06

Thanks for answering my post about reloading the 30-06 and 300RUM.

I'm ready to begin my first load and have a question regarding how far to seat the bullet. I purchased a Stoney Point OAL gauge and with it I obtained a measurement of 3.457.

It seems off because the bullet is only seated between the first and second groove and seems to stick out way more than it should. (By the way, the bullet is a Barnes 168 TSX and the rifle a Rem 700 SS DM).

I had planned to move the bullet back .050, but it still seems like it sticks out of the case way too far. The overall case length is also too long.

When I measured, I didso from the tip of the bullet to the end of the case. I also bought a bullet compararator tonight to try when I get home from workto hopefully obtainbetter accuracy.

What am I missing here?? I would like to be able to seat these bullets in a detachable magazine for hunting. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Cybersniper

Old 10-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet depth - Stoney point 30-06

Seat the bullet far enough out to fit in the magazine and cycle reliably.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:03 PM
bigcountry

its a rarity I find a rifle that I can reach the rifling and still fit my mag. Especially with long actions like the 06.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply. So if I'm understanding this correctly, I should just seat the bullet to the longest length that fits my mag? When reloaders measure with a stoney Point OAL is that just for a single shot? It's confusing because BARNES claims the best accuracy is at .050 out and the OAL gauge suggests between .020-.040. I will be much farther than both of these from the lands.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Will the cartridge fit your magazine at 3.457" C.O.L.? If the cartridge will not fit the magazine, you will have to settle for seatting your bullet as long as your magazine. Most cartridges with freebore will not be able to touch the rifling and fit the magazine. I have never had that happen to a .30-06 Sprg. in any make of rifle. I have come across this in a Browning A-Bolt in .300 Win. Mag.

The Stoney Point O.A.L. Gauge does not work for only single shots. It depends on your magazine's length, and if it can accommodate the full length of your cartridge to the riffling.

You are just going to have to experement and see at what C.O.L. your rifle shoots best. My 30-06 Sprg. does not shoot Barnes X bullets great at .050" from the riffling, but it shoots great .005" from the riffling. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:11 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: cybersniper

Thanks for the reply. So if I'm understanding this correctly, I should just seat the bullet to the longest length that fits my mag? When reloaders measure with a stoney Point OAL is that just for a single shot? It's confusing because BARNES claims the best accuracy is at .050 out and the OAL gauge suggests between .020-.040. I will be much farther than both of these from the lands.
Well on a rare occasion, you will need that stoney point. I bought this 7mm-08 700 that has a very short throat. In fact its .1" shorter than SAAMI spec. A real rareity.

I couldn't figure out why I loaded the round to fit in my magazine but it wouldn't chamber. So the stoney point came in handy.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I checked my mag and the bullet will still fit at .050 so I'm going to give it a try. That will be in excess of the Lee OAL measurement book listed in my book. I hop it will still be safe. My Stoney was 3.457 - .050 = 3.407. The LEE maximum OAL is 3.340. Will this be OK or will I have pressure problems with the extra room in the case between the bullet and powder?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:42 PM
bigcountry

No telling if pressure problems until you try it.

But the closer you get to the lands, the more room i the case but the less jump to the rifling. I did experiments and found that the deeper you seat a bullet, the more pressure, and the closer to the lands, more pressure, you will find a place in the middle where you can get max velocity and no pressure signs.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cybersniper:

Start with MIN load, and check for pressure signs and you will be ok. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll let you know what happens. I plan to try out several loads I made for the 30-06 and 300 RUM on Sat. at our range.

Cybersniper

Quick Reply: Bullet depth - Stoney point 30-06

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.