Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Federal ammo using nosler bullets

Old 07-22-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Federal ammo using nosler bullets

Why is it that the nosler ballistic tips and partitions that federal use in their cartridges have the cannelure(??) and the ballistic tips and partitions you can buy off the shelves dont have it?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Federal ammo using nosler bullets

I suspect Federal buys more than 100 bullets at a time and politely asks for a cannelure.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:05 PM
bigcountry

Remington requested the canalure from nosler on thier 300RUM ammo. I called nosler to find out if I could get some and got a big NO.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:04 PM
DM

Because Federal has to build there ammo to be used in every type and style offirearm you can think of, they need to "crimp" there ammo. Crimping means you need a canlure in the bullet.

I don't crimp any ammo unless i absolutely have to, so none of my Noslers needs canlures.

Drilling Man
Old 07-25-2005, 08:36 AM

I dont crimp any of my loads either, even if it has a cannelure.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

BigCountry:

Onecan buy a tool that willcannelure bullets for you. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:58 AM
bigcountry

Its not a question for me anymore. I seen that tool. When I started shooting real heavy recoiling rifles I was concerned about bullets staying in place. I since then have convinced myself, I don't need the cannalure, at least on the 300RUM. The bullets do slip and move if you load them without any room in the mag box.

Guys has any of you guys seen posters say, "I have never had any problems loading this way, even though I have never tried it the the other way". I see it all the time in shooting forums. How can one form an opinion without experience? I mean if the gun goes off, then it was a successful firing, does that mean you didn't have any problems?

Old 07-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I don't crimp either, actually I have never crimped and I have never had a problem, but I only reload for single shots and bolt actions not semi autos.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:57 AM
bigcountry

This is what I am talking about. How can one form an opinion without ever having the experience. Never having a problem, could be the gun actually fired? Or could be, you have never got over .2" group ever.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Bigcountry

Just because I don't have experiece with both does not mean I don't have experiece. I reload without a crimp,I can tell you what my experience is with noncripmpingbullets. I didn't say one was better or worse because I don't have any experience with crimping.I can tell you that in my experiece with non crimping, I have not had a problem. My bullets don't fall out and or push in. I can shoot well under an inch with my non crimped hand loads, so I would say I have not had a problem. What other problem could there be reguarding not crimping?With your theory one could shoot both ways and still not know if there was a poblem. If my bullets were falling out I would say I had a problem, but they don't and and they work fine so I can say I have not had a problem.

Quick Reply: Federal ammo using nosler bullets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.