Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes TSX triple shock.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:44 AM

Default RE: Barnes TSX triple shock.

Terry I believe Federal just added the 7mm Rem Mag 160 TSX too their Premium Vital Shok line. That will drive a moose stem too stern and would be my pick for a "one bullet, one gun" proposition! Even if you wanted to reload, that exact bullet would be mighty tough to beat. The TSXs are so tough and out penetrate bullets weighing much more, you can drop back and enjoy higher velocities and better trajectories without giving up terminal performance. THAT is the beauty of these amazing bullets.

Good luck and I can assure you that you WONT be disappointed,
RA
Old 10-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

RedAllison,
I would be handloading so factory loadings don't matter. I was looking at the Barnes website and the new 150gr bullet has an amazing BC and my guess would likely outperform the 160 downrange in terms of trajectory. I would be tempted to use it on moose since they hold so much of thier weight.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM

One thing about it Terry, EITHER of the weights would spell "lights out" for moose. I know when driven at extreme velocities (over 3500fps) the 150 TSX in a 30caliber will NOT stay in either a moose or an elk in most situations. The equal weight, smaller diameter 150/7mm should do the same. I suppose you can get em "warm" too about 3100-3200fps? That should be great. I wouldn't hesistate to use the 150 Lazerheads/TSXs from my Warbird on elk. They just out penetrate anything else out there.

Good luck,
RA
Old 10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

RA,
I'm going to try the 150s. I just need to be quiet about it around my hunting buddies as I would be banished if they realized I was shooting a bullet less than 200 grains . Seriously though, I hunt with 2 other guys and we all carried .338 win mags for years. Hell I was the first to buy one and they served us well for many moose and many years. Problem is they all had muzzle brakes on them and I just got sick of wrecking my hearing and dropped down to a 7 mm rem mag. I have only killed 1 bull moose, 2 caribou and 2 antelope so far with it ( all 1 shot drop in your tracks shots ) but I am rapidly becoming very attached to that rifle. The reality is killing a moose is like shooting a log skidder in the tire, punch a hole through it and watch it deflate ! I now realize you don't need a huge bullet to rip through a moose, just a real good one.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

In the 7mmremmag,I would try the 140gr and 150gr tsx.With this bullet you don't need any more weight.