Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes TSX triple shock.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Barnes TSX triple shock.

I am finding that the tsx bullets are not fouling any worse than any other bullet and certainly much better than the sciroccos that left terrible fouling after only a few shots.I clean after every range session but have not used a brush since the barrels were new and fouled much more.The other thing that I noticed is that although I dropped the powder charges with the tsx's the velocity has increased.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:48 AM
bigcountry

Stub, I was shocked to find the same. Even less than partitions. Or close.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:17 PM

see stubbs and bigc? lol I been tellin you guys that these bullets ARE "that damned good". They do it all and do it all TERRIBLY well. The grooves (or gaschecks) in the bullets are said to reduce bearing surface without hampering sealing ability. So that reduces friction which will increase velocity AND reduce fouling. I've also heard that those very "checks" allow extra copper to "flow into them while traveling down the barrel". Again that reduces fouling whereas otherwise that metal would remain in the bore.

THE best thing there is, it's just that simple!
RA
Old 08-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am pleased with the results so far.The accuracy is not quite as good as with the ballistic tips but the bullet is one piece so it can't come apart and will always provide great penetration.As a result ,I will not have to be as choosy when picking my shots as I was with the ballistic tips.I was surprised to see that the velocity increased even though the powder charge was reduced.Even with the original powder charge ,no pressure signs were evident so the load should be very safe with the reduced powder charge.If the second rifle works out as good as the first,I will use the tsx's exclusively in my 300ultramags.With a bullet that can't come apart,a very high ballistic co-efficient and higher velocities than possible with conventional bullets the tsx looks to be the best bullet for my uses.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just ran the numbers through the ballistic calculator.Of course there could be error as there often is with these tables or calculations,but the trajectory looks promising.

100 yards 200 yards 300 yards 400 yards 500 yards
+2.75" +3.7" +.75" -6.5" -18.5"
Old 08-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Sounds good stubbs, what velocity and weight TSX are you shooting? Ya gotta LOVE only 6" of drop at 400yds, if more people had that kind of trajectory they wouldn't think we were crazy for taking "1/4 milers" in the first place! Sure makes it pretty easy.

Stubbs have you ever experimented with "torque steer/drift" with your bullets at long range (over 600yds)? John Lazzeroni told me about most of his guns once being sighted in for very long range would actually shoot an inch left at 100yds. Makes sense as the forces of a 30 cal at the 3500-4000fps range would be a TREMENDOUS rotational force that would tend to drift the bullet in the direction of the barrels rifling. I would have to add it up, but I am wanting to say a "supermag" will spin bullets as fast as 250k-300k+ rpm? That's a tremendous force on a bullet and I can't see how ANY of them stay together under such a load.

I just LOVE these "point and shoot" calibers,
RA
Old 08-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

As I stated in a previous post,I am using the 180gr tsx out of my 300 ultramags at 3400fps.My local range is 500meters or 500 yards so that is the farthest that I shoot.As such,I haven't noticed any drift that couldn't be attributed to wind.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:21 PM

Naw you wont see any drift at only 500yds, he was talking about his rifles that are shot consistently at 800-1000+yds.

A 180 @ 3400 is SMOKIN from an Ultra, they certainly are an affordable alternative too a Warbird or 30/378.
RA
Old 08-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 180 @ 3400 is SMOKIN from an Ultra, they certainly are an affordable alternative too a Warbird or 30/378.

Exactly.I will gladly give up the 100fps or so for much more affordable brass and a little more barrel life.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did some more testing this morning with surprising results.At 93gr the second rifle shot a 1/2" five shot group but there were still indications of excessive pressure.A quick test over the chronograph showed why as the result was 3450fps.At 92gr two out of the six rounds showed very slight traces of excessive pressure and velocity was around 3410fps.I will be trying 91gr next time out(when more bullets arrive) and am expecting about 3350fps to 3370fps based on previous changes in the powder charge.It is amazing that this same rifle produces 3340fpswith 95gr of r-25 and 180gr ballistic points.A reduction of two grains still produced 100fps more velocity with the tsx's.With the other rifle a reduction of one grain produced a velocity increase of 60fps.It is amazing just how different two rifles can react to a change of bullet style.It looks as though one of the rifles will be using about three grains more powder but will also be producing 40fps to 50fps more than the other rifle.To add some insurance,I will also test both rifles in much warmer weather to be sure that no pressure signs are evident.

Quick Reply: Barnes TSX triple shock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.