Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.30 Caliber Carbine

Old 05-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .30 Caliber Carbine

i have an m-1 and i'm thinking of starting a little in reloading. do ya'll know of any loads that would make this cartridge more powerful or better suited for hunting medium to deer size game. i've seen some things but never anything technical. i was thinking more on the lines of heavier or more hunting suited bullets than the fmj. and definately more heavy and aerodynamic.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:20 PM

Default RE: .30 Caliber Carbine

This round is really only suited to plinking and varmint hunting. You need a heavier bullet to take big game - and when you go heavier, there isn't enough speed to make it work for deer. Maybe head shots at close range?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah that's what i figured, but i have seen alternative loads but nothing that explained the bullets. i wasn't sure if anyone had any such loads.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:46 PM

I have killed many deer with my 30 carbine.....most at 50 yds or less. I use remington 110 gr. soft point. Never lost one with it yet, but remember, it is shot placement.......and distance, of course.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have some of the federal soft points or hollow points... not sure which but i haven't tried them yet.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:00 PM

Ok.. this is my subject. I love the little carbine and its cartrage.

If you are using an M1 or one of the M1 clones out there. You do not want to use any lighter or heaver bullet then the 110gr. Doing so may casue damage, malfunction, or other unwanted reaction from the carbine. As a note (this is from original design) it was not ment to shoot anything but a FMJ, reason is the steap load ramp. Though many many people have used the RNSP's and they work without problem. If you are looking to get that extra little bit out of the round in stopping the critter your after, you should get some of the HSP's by Winchester. Here is a lMidwayUSA link for them.

If you are wanting something more I'll let you know when I get done testing a bullet I found last month. Its a 110gr HP from Sierra. I have not tried them yet (all my brass is loaded) but the only thing I'm worried about is it catching on the load ramp.

Anyway.. sorry for the load of info.. My carbine is like my adult version of a .22.. something about it just keeps me pulling it out every time I go to the range.... just gotta shoot it. It is also going to be one of my Coyote guns for this year (my first time at coyote hunting).

Hope some of the info helps..
Rebel Turtle
Old 06-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks turtle. i have the federal version of the winchesters you had on the link. i was kinda thinking about using it for close range head shots on hogs and possibly florida deer(they're really small). along with yotes. they are definately fun to shoot