Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

looking for Can.(SK) to US taxidermy broker/shipper

Old 05-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default looking for Can.(SK) to US taxidermy broker/shipper

Guys,
I've got 2 geese mounts in Saskatoon. Do any of you know of a shipping company or broker who can help out? The permit situation is crazy. The Can. fed's say I need a provincial permit, but the provincial guys say I need a Can. fed permit. WTF?
Next year I'm using a taxidermist in the US and hope that will reduce the donfusion by a smidge.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: looking for Can.(SK) to US taxidermy broker/shipper

JoeA, first off if the geese have been mounted by a local taxidermist he should be able to arrange for it to be shipped by courier in a proper container to prevent any damage while in transit to your location(it will cost but service they should all provide - seeing the large amount of US/Non resident hunters business they do on a yearly basis).

As to the permit portion it states in the Sask. regs that any wildlife or wildlife parts not accompanying the hunter home must have a Provinicial Export Permit. However migratory birds falls under federal juristication here not solely provinicial, hence the need for the federal(canadian) permit/stamp purchase when acquiring a license to hunt geese, ducks & cranes. My guess is this is where the confusion lies. I quickly searched the Migratory Site for canada and it had nothing on their about export permits, it only states the package should clearly indicate contends, permit # (meaning license of the hunter) and contact information if not accompanying legally harvested waterfowl. I too would have the taxidermist make the arrangements or figure out what is required in this area as well.

Unfortunately I have no first hand knowledge of the bird taxi exporting stuff, but in terms of biggame animals this is all routinely done by the taxidermist or minimally the outfitter. Like I said a charge but it really takes all the worry and work out of it for the hunter.

As an alternative, if you used an outfitter it may be worth calling them to see if they will provide some answers/help for you.

SERM weblink:

Sorry I couldn't help you more and wish you the best.