Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Mounts?

Old 04-14-2005, 03:48 PM

Default RE: Mounts?

2-4 years, something ain't right,,,[X(], I had a rug & a shoulder mount done in less than a year
Old 04-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are all lucky , I've got turkeys at a local guy near Angus for 5+ years and have not seen them...BT
Old 04-17-2005, 04:36 PM

As a taxidermist, I must chuckle at some of your comments. Jeff Brain does such good fish work, guys ARE willing to wait as long as it takes. Len Murphy is the same way with mammals, hes just plain worth the wait.

The amount of time you wait is not how long work takes to get done, rather simply a waiting list to get to that mount. As for guys doing less to get it done quicker...put youselves in our shoes for a minute.

Do you just charge more until you get just enough work to finish in a year? That would mean that many guys couldnt afford or justify the higher price and wouldnt be able to use these guys. So thats not a good choice.

Do we cut off our list at a certain number, and then when the next guy shows up with his trophy of a lifetime, say "Sorry, Im not taking anymore work this year". Nope, that doesnt fly either. You wind up insulting the guy just because he scored later than someone else.

So, most of us guys quote much longer return times, up front. We are honest and we stress the fact that we are busy. It makes guys like you mad sometimes, but the guys who understand are who make up our two year wait. I know it sounds excessive to many of you, but again, see it from our perspective.

Now, when a shop quotes under a year and it takes two or worse, well, then you have a legitimate b*tch. The best quality work is usually going to take a bit more time. I do know of some studios that really do great work and maintain a 6 to 12 month return, but you WILL pay for that.

I didnt want to start anything here, just shed some light on why the waiting can be long, and that you guys have two very good taxidermists in Len and Jeff.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Bill,
I totally understand what your saying.....if there is a long wait, it's most likely because the guy is busy. If he's busy them it's because he's good. The guy I brought my mount to does awesome work and definately worth a two year wait. But when I bring something to get done, I want to be told it's going to be a two year wait not a one year. If it's going to cost another couple of hundred to get done sooner, than I want to be given the option to decide. I don't mean to bash my taxidermist or any taxidermist for that matter. I just think as a paying customer we should be told upfront what might go on. I have friends that have been waiting for three years for things they've brought in.
It's come to the point now that I actually forget that I have a deer getting mounted.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 PM

Torontohunter, I also see what you mean as well. I just used this post as a way to try to explain my side of things, on their behalf. You are right about being given the accurate estimate. That was a mistake I used to make too. I have since learned to be honest and upfront with you guys at all cost. I tell my customers that I sincerely appreciate their business with me, I realize how many taxidermy shops they must pass to get to mine. Good luck with your mount, I hope its everything you were waiting for.