Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Explo Sylva

Old 03-31-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Explo Sylva

I am looking at Explo Sylva for a caribou hunting trip in 06, has anybody booked through them before any info would be great
Old 04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Explo Sylva

Never have but I lived in Quebec for over 20 years and these guys had one of the best reputations in the caribou hunting business. They have been around for many years, there must be a reason. I would use them if flying in again myself.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info this probably will be a once in a lifetime trip for me so I want it to be with a reputable outfitter. I see most guys in that area run 95-99% on 2 caribou I would be more than happy to bring one home! I have also heard its feast or famine if you are not in the middle of the migration. Is this true or are there bound to be some animals in the area through out the migration
Old 04-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this true or are there bound to be some animals in the area through out the migration
Unfortunately caribou is a feast or famine hunt. I flew in in late august many years ago and the whole camp got skunked. We used a micky mouse outfit and learned the hard way. I have since been back twice during the later winter hunt and literally saw thousands of animals both times. The advantage of a good outfit like explo sylva is if the animals are not there they will fly you to them as needed. I would not worry, if you pick a reputable outfitter then you will have a trip of a lifetime in country that has to be seen to believe! You will be way above the treeline in the tundra. Make sure to bring fishing equipment if the seasons coincide. Unless you don't like catching 3 lb speckled trout and arctic char!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

You might also want to look at Jack Hume Adventures... www.jackhumeadventures.com

I'm going up with them this September. Main reason I chose them was they have a small fleet of planes they own for themselves as well as a number of camps throughout the region. They never book all their camps up so that if some camps with hunters are unproductive; they always have the option to move them which they will at no cost (hence the self owned fleet of planes comes in handy).

I looked at quite a few, so I don't remember Explo Sylva per se; but I've seen a few programs where they were the outfitter... I doubt you would go wrong with either one... at least i hope

Cheers.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 AM

We looked a Jack Hume also, the reason we looked at Explo Sylva is we can drive to the float plane base and one of my hunting buddies has a hard time with airplanes, it will be interesting on the float plane! We are trying to cut down on air time plus it saves about 1000.00 by driving instead of flying from Montreal. Thanks for the Info
Old 04-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of those outfitters, (at least the ones out of shefferville) tend to use Otter aircraft which are a pretty good size. Tell your buddy he will be OK.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:56 AM

We used Explo Sylva about 4 years ago. It was a great hunt with a quality outfitter. As you had mentioned, we drove all the way to base camp. The drive was quite an adventure but very scenic. You will have to fly to your camp from the base camp which will be on an Otter. Although they do not own the air fleet, the air fleet is on the same lake and it is as if they own it. Friends of mine go every other year and do very well. But there have been years with limited success. The year we went there was 4 of us and we killed 8 nice bulls. I only seen about 35 bulls for the week. They will put you in bulls or they will move you. It cost them money to move you so they watch the migration very close. They put us in a camp that was not used in a few years. I would strongly suggest the following if you go.

Bring your fishing poles. We were at twin lodge and the fishing was awsome.

If you drive all the way to base camp bring extra spare tires. The last stretch is 412 miles of Canadian gravel and rock. It is well maintained so speeds up to 55mph are the norm but some areas that are on solid rock can be rough and jaged. Bring a couple gas cans as it is a long way between gas stops.

JH