Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Difference in Deer Speice's

Old 11-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Difference in Deer Speice's

I've never hunted Mulies , and got to wondering about the difference in WhiteTails and Mulies.

If one was to hunts these two different deer , would you use the same calling and rattling on both or have you fella's in the west a different way of working them ?

Thanks for helping me understanding the difference...BT
Old 11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Difference in Deer Speice's

I hunt both species in the same river bottom. The mulies will respond to rattling but not as aggressively as whitetails I've found. As for techniques, you can stalk mulies alot easier than whitetails but the big ones can be even more elusive than the smartest whitetail. We hunt out of tree stands and have both deer use the same trails...it's just hit and miss every year. This year the whitetails outnumbered the mulies and last year it was totally opposite. I love hunting both types equally! JDinAB
Old 11-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Difference in Deer Speice's

I hunt mule deer somewhat similar to whitetails, a lot of still hunting with spot n stalks and sitting in transition areas trying to intercept them moving. I don't usually rattle or call to mule deer, they will respond but much prefer due to the amount of eyes a good mule buck will have with him in the way of does and often several smaller bucks to remain as undetected as much as possible. One thing that is very different is mule deer hate prssure, so I am not nearly as agressive in getting into the safe havens until season is winding to a close, whitetails I get very agressive to the bedding area. A lot of the areas I hunt close to home the mule deer are really no different than whitetails living in large wood lots often in private or community pastures...some other areas where they live in ravines/valleys the hunting can be a bit different. In these open areas spotting and stalking is the most common and preferred method. Whitetails like to remain hidden but a mule deer can often be found almost sunning itself on a hillside in plain view...but believe me this is not without reason, they prefer to be able to see and watch the area vs just isten and smell. I can't prove it but believe their eyesight is better than a whitetails, no doubt a whitetail can cue in very well on movement but mulies seem IME a bit better at using this sense.

They are both extremely fun and challenging to hunt mature bucks. I laugh at people who say mules are stupid standing their and offering countless broadside shots...well true for the does/fawns and small bucks them big mature bucks like JD can truly keep with any mature whitetail.