Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

New Brunswick Whitetail...HELP!

Old 09-09-2004, 06:43 AM

Default New Brunswick Whitetail...HELP!

Can someone who know what they are talking about please give me a hand. I just moved from Wainwright Alberta to Fredericton New Brunswick. Out in Alberta there are lots of rolling hills and open country. Here in New Brunswick...lol...you can't see four feet in front of yourself. I love deer hunting and I want to go out and find a really nice place to hunt. I have afew places I have found by canoe on the Oromocto river but I really don't know how to go about scoting, what should I look for? Also out west I was using a Remington Model 700 AS .270 with a Simmins 3.5x10x40 great in the west how about here in NB? Was thinking of a model seven with a 6x40 nikon or leupole in a .270 little shorter and lighter.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Brunswick Whitetail...HELP!

You've just got to change your tactics slightly. You'll be hunting clearings, funnels and learn to love the solitude of a tree stand. You should be able to find paths running from farmers fields that you can hone in on. In my area we tend to gravitate to points and small evergreen bushes next to corn and soyabean fields. Clover, oaks and apple trees are always a big draw. Pick up a few books on the tactics that they use in PA or NY and you shouldn't be too far off. A .270 is a great rifle for deer.

Dan O.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the help! You know, it is really funny alot of guys around here have told me that I should look into getting a climbing tree stand... Dose anyone know of any good websites or book on whitetail tactics for the Canadian east coast (New Brunswick)

Thanks again for all the help...
Old 09-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Nb Hunter, most people move from NB to Alberta. Your 270 will be fine I use one no problems there. sight it in for no more then 100 yards. When scout look for your basic deer sign. There are lots of places to hunt the base gagetown is good I know a few people that hunt it and they alway get deer. Just stay out of the closed areas most of the base is open except the impact areas. you have to stop at the gates and get a "permisson slip", any of the farms along the Saint John River. Oromocto is good. also check out towards magadavic (the spelling is wrong). You have all kinds of places. There are not as many deer here but it is a little better now then 4 years ago. Ask a round people may give you some spot too. If you want ask at archery center but they are not much help on anything. I think there is Hunting and fishing club in F-ton ask them. There is a lot of crown land and Irving land here and you hunt both without permission. there are lots of places that the public go and hunt. The deer we do have can get petty big body wise and some decent racks. good luck
Old 10-13-2004, 03:32 PM

Hi all

Im a new hunter as im sure you gathered from my user name and recently purchased a lever action 30 - 30 Marlin. Im looking for someone to go hunting with becasue im a new hunter i would like to go with someone with some experience. If there is anyone out there willing to take on a new member to their hunting group lewt me know im egar to join.

NMH