Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Elk Hunting

Old 07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk Hunting

Where is everyone's favourite place to hunt elk in Canada?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk Hunting

Either northern B.C or northwestern alberta.Both have good elk populations and lower hunting pressure than the more southern areas.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

SJ , Can a person hunt Elk in
northwestern alberta
without a guide ?

I would love to try this at leased once and would like to do it in Canada , but I can not seem to get any leads at all on this type of hunt. I really don't want to go with an outfitter , I would soon do it with another person or so, or join up with a small group of fella's. I do own a few Elk calls and would love to try this type of hunting.

Any help would be appreachated ...BT
Old 07-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

In alberta you can hunt elk or most other big game with a hunter host which is an alberta resident that simply buys a hunter host license.Tags for general elk are available over the counter.Your biggest problem will be finding an alberta resident that is experienced at elk hunting and is willing to host an unknown hunter.Next to bighorn hunters the serious elk hunters seem to be the most selective about who they hunt with and who they will show their favorite hunting grounds to.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:46 PM

The TB in the elk around Riding Mountain National Park and subsequent "thinning" of elk populations in and around the park have reduced the quality of elk hunting in my hunting area... however this past March I sat with a guy at the Manitoba Big Game awards banquet who arrowed a bull that scored 388 5/8 (typical) in the Duck Moutains here in Manitoba.. so someday I think I will apply for an archery tag in that region.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Porintree, I’ve gone out archery elk hunting in the duck a couple of times. We would go for the last week of the season and with the change in climate we were sunbathing instead of hunting. It was so hot it was terrible. If we would have gotten a elk we would have been in trouble. Trying to get the meat out of the bush and into a freezer would have been a very hard task without spoiling the meat. It would be nice if they would delay the season for a couple of weeks for cooler weather although I haven’t looked at the new hunting book. Then I think it would be worth going.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:01 PM

Trailer, you're definitely bang on with your assessment. I didn't even think about the season being so short and stuck in such warm weather. I can't find my 2004 hunting guide, but in 2003 the season ended Sept 13. In 23A, we get an archery season that starts last last week of August and runs until the Saturday before deer rifle season (early November). The only problem is that there are often only a handful of scattered elk that are even out of RMNP during that time. Very difficult to hunt, unless a person has permission to hunt on a large amount of land. In recent years they have even extended the rifle season because there aren't really many elk around until February.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:33 PM

Does anyone have any experience in the Nordegg(AB) area? Just wondering if it's wiser to stay by the river, or head to the hills. I'm going from Sept 3rd -12th(hoping for an early snowfall) Limited time for archery again this year. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm heading up in a couple of weeks to do some scouting.