Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Sask 04' Hunting Guide Now available..FYI

Old 04-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sask 04' Hunting Guide Now available..FYI

All those sask resident or those thinking of hunting in Saskatchewan in 04' SERM has finally updated the website to include the new 04' Hunting & Trapping Guide.

link: www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/huntingguide/

Cheers...let the planning begin[8D].
Old 04-15-2004, 01:35 AM

Default RE: Sask 04' Hunting Guide Now available..FYI

Thanks for the update skeeter. I checked things out there and I really like what I see. They finally closed down the moose season around my place (Zone 48) which was the best thing the could have done. I know alot of guys back home will be upset but they don't understand the big picture of wildlife management. Close the season down for a few years and let the moose come back instead of slaughtering every last one of them. My inside tip on the elk season proved to be reliable. The second week opened up to cows which hopefully thins them crop eatin nags out a bit. Skeeter like you said before in a post that most guys get out in the first week which is true. I know its like Vietnam around my place that first week, but things really tame down after that. I realize the locals will be using the "if its brown its down" method that second week but i hope a lot of out of town folks stick around for the second week. Or if they would skip the first week and come the second. I guess it really depends on the hunter and what they are after. If they have their heart set on a bull then they bugle better that first week but they are also pressured way more. But some may figure the bulls will be easier in the second week when they are less pressured. You have hunted elk before so i would imagine that you have realized that with Elk in Sask expect the unexpected. When you don't think they will be bugling you get a foggy morning and the field is thick with them like hair on a dog. To me it really doesn't matter. From the end of August to the end of September I am shooting the first legal elk that ventures into my sights, I can't disapoint the father and let another one get away with eating his crop all year.

My 2002 victim, got a nice foggy morning on my wheat stubble field and i coaxed this guy out of the Greenwater Park. Was so foggy it took me 20 minutes after shooting time to identify if he was a bull. 250 yards with the 7mm rem mag 165gr. nosler parts. Bullet busted both shoulders and still exited. When it cracked he let out a large puff of mist, maybe i am just a real different guy but that was the greatest hunt i ever made. Not a monster but i sure had fun with him.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hiawatha, yes your tip proved to be right on the money with regards to the elk season change. I for one think and hope guys opt to go in the E/O season. I know I have talked with a lot of dejected elk hunters in the past few years and think it just might be the thing that will spread the hunters out a bit. My feeling is more guys mean less animals for everyone, cram 3/4 of the elk hunters into one week, the pressure is bound to impact the harvest overall. It should also help animals, farmers and I believe it may help with the rut being more normalized if the cows were thinned somewhat. I think the competition for bulls is a lot less than previous years. Speaking from deer terms(I think I can assume it will hold true for elk, as well), this causes a less defined rutting period, less ranging of the bulls and more immature bulls doing the breeding. I am not sure if you noticed this last year but I saw a lot of small groups and less herds like previous years. In fact all 3 bulls we harvested were with a small group of cow and none were herd bulls. Although that can be an indicator of rut being finished, I still thing the sheer amount of girls has impacted the rut in some way or form. Also we hunted in archery supposedly when the rut had started in the area last year, never did see the 10 plus cow/calf with a few sats. or rag horns and the herd bull in tow. I am by far no expert when it comes to elk and rut, so just an educated guess if you will.

Congrats on your bull, they are all trophies. A memory you can re-live and re-tell for years to come. BTW out of curosity did you cow call him and if so what week was he taken? The reason I ask is I feel we made a huge mistake the first 2 days last fall by bugling like usual, all 3 bulls we harvested were doing cow talk and they took awhile to show their nose. I am thinking if faced with the same rut situation as last fall to leave the bugles alone and stick to cow calling.

As to moose I only hope it isn't a year or 2 to late, I really wish they would have dropped the reg. rifle season altogether. I also personally think it is a huge mistake putting additional pressure on the bulls in the forest, it hasn't worked in the past but I know they had to throw a bone so not everyone is truly p'd off! The best thing is they put the reg. rifle in probably the worst time for hunting bull moose, directly following the rut...so they get a small golf clap from me on that note! I will be applying for the moose draw this fall, been in super pool A for the past 5 years and been 8 since I was last drawn...although it will most likely be about the same odds as winning the lottery this fall. I just love hunting these beasts and especially during the call..simply amazing in a word!!!

Should be another good year, the deer look awesome. Now we only have to hurry up and wait[][:'(]!!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see that the information concerning several more zones being opened to canadian hunters was true as well.This year I will again be hunting in the area that I grew up in.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stubble what area do you hail from originally? Did they change the season or is it still the 2nd week(last week of nov.)?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:33 PM

Skeeter that bull in my pic i only i gave him one whistle. I heard him give a little chirp about 200-300 yards back in the park so i whistled quickly while he was just finishing his call. Then i left the bugle alone and coaxed him out with my cow calls. Depending on what the bull is doing, but i usually use my bugle as a locator only. If i get a response right away then i let one rip right back at him to work him up a bit. But if 20 minutes pass before i hear a response i might just give on litlle chuckle then start cow calling. Ya the deer sure do look great here. Been home and workin on the field for a few weeks now and every night i see tons of deer that seemed to have wintered very well. I have been starting to see a few more moose this year hanging around our land but every one that i stumbled across was hit with ticks pretty bad. I would imagine they will make it now okay. I know what ya mean about the draw moose the odds are pretty slim. I had been putting in for quite a few years now but i think i'm callin it quits. I think i will wait until i am finished university so that i can hunt everyday of the season. The Copeau river runs out of the greenwater park onto my land and i have always wanted to take a little 10-12ft boat back in there. Pack everything into the boat and paddle way back into that jungle where probably no one has hunted. Looks like alot of work but hopefully in a few years i can make it happen.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter-I grew up 25miles west of yorkton along the yellowhead highway in zone 39.The second week is still the canadian resident season.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hiawatha, sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup butting the park and a river will always hold game. Our spot looks to be doing very well, my partner was up this week and saw 36 deer and 10 elk while doing some seeding prep work, one he thinks may have been a herd bull we had going in archery but couldn't get him to close the distance for a shot. I can't wait for summer to come and be gone! Well there still is some pike and walleye fishing to be done.

Stubblejumper, just recently was in the Yorkton/Esterhazy area, the deer look great especially in these areas. Should be a good year, best of luck!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:06 PM

I am a outfitter in zone 73. I was hoping that maybe one of you guys might know of some one who is reliable and would like to do some guiding work starting next year for the spring bear season. If you do I would like to get in contact with them. Thanks