Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Thanks for the info and pics. Leaving in 6 days, hope there are a few bou left!!!! Looks like you had a great trip.

Cheers
Old 11-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been reading this thread on and off for a while. It is very interesting. I like the pics. Let us see some more.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Spike

Hello all,

Just got in from our trip to the Donut Assasins. Yea it's a shoddy camp in comparison to Mirage. Too bad everyone can't get in for the good dates. After you leave whatever camp your at its a matter of the animals being there.

Our hunt was Nov. 23-26. We had trouble finding animals. We got lucky on our fist trip up twards the dam and a group of about 7 crossed in front of us with one of our party getting a fair bull. after that we never saw a group of more than 5. We tagged the rest of the way out on cows and felt fortunate to do so. After spending most of our time up above the dam. We went to Mirage the second night to fuel up and noticed fresh crossings of the Trans road just East of Mirage and at km360.

Caribou are very spread out and it looks like mostly stragglers. On the way out we saw thousands in the resident zone 22a, and on the James bay road almost down to 381. Be careful. In the Non resident zone it's tough. I hear people talking of more coming down yet but a lot of people think there are not many still up above the dam, filtering down. Better not be too choosey. But hey I'm new to this and there may be bou all over tomorrow. Good luck
Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 PM

Just wondering how far above the dam you guys went? Heard that they are all over the place at Kisk. Maybe somebody's telling a lie. Was everyone else in camp in the same boat as you guys, ie barely seeing any? Leaving Wednesday and I'm just wondering. It seems to me that maybe the government should open more of the resident area to non-residents. Four years in a row now that more caribou are crossing west of that imaginary line separating the two zones.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 AM
Spike

Hello Kingbariton, We got 5 of our 8 just past 36 above the damon a snowmobile trail walking about a mile in. I heard that last Wednesday, the day before our hunt, there was quite a few in the Kisk. area and all over up above. It changes so much from day to day right now. With the magor part of the herd West and South right now, I nor anyone at the time we were there saw any large groups. We got a tip that there were some in the woods down the sled trail. If I was going to try something now, I would probably rent a sledat Mirageand take the trail just west of there both North and South. I also saw fresh sign on the way out between Mirage and where 22A begins. There is a few km west of the Polaris that can be hunted. Just need to be sure not getting into resident zone. Migration pattern does seem to be concentrated more West. It would be nice to be able to hunt there.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 AM
Spike

Also be careful on the lakes some still if'y in spots. fuel at Mirage 1.55 per liter. Fuel at camp Kisk. 1.50 per liter. $1.16 per liter at 381. $.934 at Matagami. Snow up around Dam area 2' or more. good big snowshoes helpful. Long track snow machine a plus.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 AM

Hi Darkside55

Just curious as to what you're seeing up there regards the caribou migration. Have you been around the area lately? It sounds like its going to be getting colder next week. Does that tend to move them? I've heard the animals are travelling in small groups of 10-12 and are being seen on the road near Mirage.

Cheers
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 AM

I drove up and checked it out this morning. Just small groups of animals and it feels as if it might get colder next week and then they will move to the resident zone as they know that more and more non-residents are coming to get them. Actually, it is the cold weather that is forcing them south.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

mullis56.....Are you that close that you can just drive uphere? Are you in Radisson?

Everybody here can take this for what it's worth to you. We flew over the area this afternoon. Terrible weather and even worse than that, from the Mirage to Brisay hardly no caribou. Maybe 200 above Northwest of Kisk. 99% of them are in the Resident zone and South. There are thousands that will be knocking on Km381's door anytime.

If I were due to go up there anytime soon and couldn't afford a helicopter, which at this stage of the game wouldn't do you much goodanyway, I would be calling the outfitter you are staying with and ask them....It's a long drive for nothing for some of you. If they are honest they'll tell you the truth. Sure you'll lose the money but it'll stop a long drive up and back. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:04 PM

Hey Darkside,

It's really that bad with the caribou in the non-resident zone? Can you easily see the caribou from the air? And what kind of aircraft do you fly that you can make it from the JB Frontier to Brisay and back?

Thanks

Mike G.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.