Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

BKMSTR if you stay at Raddison you'll be driving in the dark by the time you get to Kisk. Daylight is short up there. You should make Mirage in 8-10 hours from Matagami. Kisk bought a big road plow the summer before last so they keep the road plowed. Ice is just gouged on the roads. We will be leaving Detroit Sunday Morning 2am our hunt is Monday the 27th -Dec 1. We'll be road hunting up to Kisk Monday and grabing sleds from our friend Paul there. He is the one that had the sleds at Mirage, but he bought into the Kisk camp and moved his sleds there. Last year they crossed the road and then turned back north. We saw thousands. Last year they were all over the road on the James Bay Rd.

SURREEL, I wouldn't go for the guide, they only say that you will have the chance at a bou within 200yds. Well that bou might be a calf or a cow. Best thing is to rent a sled and head into the bush. I think its 2km down from mirage on the north there is the lake that the "Other Sleds" go. follow that trail and keep a eye on all the lakes you go by.

TUGHILLER, Rent the sleds, best thing to do. Even if the rest of the group doesn't know how to ride the Tundras they have are real easy to run. We'll be there on Monday in a cabin. Look for a Black F-150 and Black HD F-350, Michigan Plates, when you get there and we'll give you a scouting report. The temps shouldn't be a factor in your gun freezing. The sleds have gun case's on them, at least Pauls at Kisk does. Don't know for sure on the new guy at Mirage. 7 Shot on the Pigeons I mean Ptarmigan, I see alot of guys useing 22's.

Chris

Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Indyultra....If you can make it from Matagami to the Mirage in 8 to 10 hours in late December, which is 930km or so, I'm sure glad I'm not riding with you. LOL. And I agree with you the Caribou were all over the James Bay Road. But not on the Trans-taiga where you can hunt. Did you get your caribou last year? Also if I read your post right you're advocating hunting from 395km on your wayto Kisk? Because that would be illegal to do until after you've checked in and gotten your license and tags.

Surreel....He's right. You don't need a guide.

Tughiller....Yeah rent a sled. Don't haul one. As far as shot size, I use #4. That way you're not spitting out BB's while you're eating.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

8-10 hours from Matagami to Mirage is a bit of a stretch unless you're completely off your rocker. We made it in a little over 10 several years ago but the James Bay Road was clear and dry and we were running 75-80 mph. I agree, next weeks map should give us a little better idea of what we're up against, and a phone call wouldn't hurt either. Hopefully they'll hold up and move west into 22B for the rest of us.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:24 PM

BKMSTR... we will leave either Sunday night or Monday morning it depends on our success. We are paid thru Monday but one of our group would like to be home forTuesday night. If you are arriving late Monday we will probably pass you on the road. Have you decided if you are going to stop for the night somewhere?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM

Hey Spike00, have you had any updates from your friend at Camp K? Just got back from the U.P. I bagged 3 deer with my rifle and bagged one with my rental truck right @ exit254 in Grayling. Unfortunately at 75 mph and 10,000 Lbs. of vehicle/trailer there was not enough left to make a burger.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cwcjr119

Hey Liquid, Why not give your negativity about Donat's a rest, everyone that's been following this thread knows they gave you the shaft a few years back. From my experience in 04 and others commentary since then I believe they have gotten better. They nor any outfitter has control over the caribou being there. Everyone knows Mirage is the class of the bunch. Unfortunately I and many others have tried to get in several times with no luck. It's all basically a do it yourself hunt anyway.
im not all negative. i have also given many tips here to help out the first timers. i feel i got taken pretty bad with no appologies and was treated like crap. if you hunt hard then you know persistance pays off. if you really want to hunt the mirage get on a list and wait for cancellations . i bet i could hunt this year if i tried. NORTHERN CARIBOU to me is a joke so i will continue to voice myself. BARB couldnt pick up the phone so im glad to see its gotten better but for a little more i would always tell caribou hunters to go with the MIRAGE.if you think its about a do it yourself hunt i think your missing the boat its about common courtisy and honesty..
Old 11-21-2006, 06:14 PM

bkmstr, the second night were staying at km 257 ,then going in sunday. stay at a outcamp at nouchimi
#516b. hope the bou are there.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:38 PM

One of our group just learned tonight he will not be able to go this year.
If anyone wants to fill that spot we are staying at Camp K. starting Nov. 30th. We will be leaving the Detroit area early Wednesday(11/29) a.m. and am planning to travel straight thru. Cost is $1200 U.S.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 PM

liquidorange,
Couldn't agree with you more concerning Donat's operation. Have hunted there twice and had problems both times - ever hear that you don't need to plug in a deisel truck until after December 1st -- I thought it depended on the temperature outside, not the date. It was going down to 4 degrees F and when I asked to plug in my truck, they (now deisel mechanics) told me it wasn't necessary (nor would they let anyone plug in) until 12/1 as they don't plug there's in until then!
I've had enough of the promises, then the let-downs and lack of concern after they get your money - and yes, I am going to another camp and that is my choice - I only believe sportsman should be informed of outfitters and their operations.
Good Luck too all and watch that road in. (8-10 hrs from Matagami to Mirage???????????????) WOW!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Big or small... We have not decided exactly where we are staying yet. We're getting together on Thanksgiving to discuss final plans. I believe we will be staying somwhere near Val D'Or the first night and the second night is questionable. More importantly right now, we're waiting to hear from those returning home from the first weeks of the hunt.
If those green squares stay on/near the tiaga road, it's going to be a long drive back to Camp Kisk...from what I've heard, bou don't willingly get out of the way for traffic!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.