Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

BKMSTR, If the caribou are " IN " you should be able to harvest a bou with your bow, pick a site near one of the caribou trails they seem to use the same trail over and over if the snow is deep ( not trying to tell how to hunt)I think it is for ease of walking, conserving energy, not constantly having to break a new trail.If you see them in advance you might be able to get ahead of them and set up for a ambush ( easily said, hard to do ) Last year I had a few nice bow shots .... But there was a lot of caribou also...one was maybe fifteen yards. I like the ideal of having your rifle just in case you see the BIG ONE! good luck to all.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Spike

Big or Small,It's a date, we will do our best to hook up. I work at the R&E Center in Dearborn but I live In Grosse ILe, no one knows where that is, so I use Dearborn as my location. you might havesaid before(sorry)but how many times have you gone caribou hunting and if so where did you stay?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'll be sure to look you up. We're planning to arrive on the 4th sometime late afternoon/evening. We'll be driving a Red F150 Super Crew. There are three of us.

Spike00 - Thanks for the bow hunting advice. I think the toughest thing may be keeping the .308 on my pack!! I'll have to wait and see what the conditions are when I get there to decide which weapon I'll choose for a primary. You never know what the weather or migration might bring:-)

You early guys that are going up, don't forget about those of us who aren't leaving till early Dec. Remember to post your results and maybe some pictures!! I'm sure some of us will be checking this forum on an hourly basis!! :-) Wow, only 1 month to go...

Darkside55 - Any luck with the moose hunting?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

BKMSTR

Yes the Moose hunt went well. 2 nice bulls. It's cold and snowing now,they are starting to head to the high ground.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I've tried moose hunting twice in Quebec and have not had any luck yet. They were both un-guided hunts so my inexperience definitely factored into that. I hope to try it again someday. I think Moose are incredible animals and would love to kill one some day. Next time I'm ready to venture after a moose, I'll have to look you up for some advice!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:07 PM

This is my 3rd year going after the big bulls. 1st year stayed at Northern caribou adventures NOT REAL IMPRESSED. The next year we booked at the Mirage REAL IMPRESSED. The food is awesome the rooms are great and I can plug my truck in. We are getting into camp on Nov. 26th. It sounds like this year might be like last year I sure hope so WOW!!! Good luck to all...
Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 PM

Spike, This will be the second year I have hunted in Northern Quebec for caribou. We stayed at Camp Kisk last year also. It had been 30 years since I hunted caribou before that. I was born and raised in Churchill, Manitoba and hunted Caribou and Moose there. I am not sure if I will go back next year yet, I would like to try other big game.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:56 PM

We will hunt Nov. 17 to 20th at Donat's. We hunted that same hunt last year and got skunked. We got home two days before Thanksgiving and my dad turned around on Thanksgiving day and drove all the way back up there from West Virginia, shot two nice bulls, and returned home (I had to work). Just looking at the satellite maps, it looks like the main bulk of the animals are over one hundred miles south of where they were last year at this time, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that some get there before we leave. We'll stick around a few days after our "scheduled hunt" days and sleep in the truck if we have to. I'd like to not come home empty handed like last year, luckily, Dad shared his caribou meat with me- best wild game meat I've ever had. Good luck fellas.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

buck8888, I'll keep an eye out for the guys sleeping in the truck, I'll be arriving at Donats on the 21st.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

buck8888....

I sure hope you have warm sleeping bags. Temperature will be a little different than W.V.LOL.

But in all seriousness, that's illegal for you to do. Non-residents have to stay at an Outfitters. If you get caught doing that you may leave a little more US dollars in Quebec than you planned on. LOL. If it came to that, I would check with Donat's and see if you could stay extra days or at least keep the truck and yourselves in his parking lot. Don't be parking it out on the road and camping.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.