Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Been in San Diagoall week talking bou - they think I am nuts.

Talked to CAN Geographic guysand they say the Leaf herd isbig and spread out from Bieneville all the way up to thecalving grounds. The lead is about 100KM south of where it was lastyaer which putsome good animals foryou Thanksgiving (US) guys. This also means that we should be seeing animals moving thru from 23 NOV to 16 Dec - Iknow this seems long but the bulk of herdis spead over700km and there are also stragelers in the few thousand animals range that will be late.

My opinon is the center ofthe herdis moving through around Dec 02 - with a good week either way of many, many animals on the tiaga.Temps are also helping us- remember last year - Nov 1st was 40 degrees. The lodge (Mirage) saysits 30 F today and they have some snow. I think anyone there on 30 NOV is going to see some real big - 400+ bulls - leading the herd.

Shoot straight and if you are at Mirage - ask to post here and let us know what you see. 38 long days for me brothers.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Spike

Nord QC Bouman: I have been talking quite a bit of caribou myself. 28 days and counting... All our guys are stoked!we are scheduled for Nov 27th at the mirage last year we got there as the herd was just coming through, every year is different as you well know... you just don't want to be to far out of sink with the migration.

We rentsnowmobiles so we are hoping for a fair amount of snow ( definitely not a blizzard ). Last year when we pulled out of camp the snow was gone it was the first time any of us had actually seen the road it is usually a sheet of ice.Strange weather, strange migration.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

I was just recalling with one in my group - dragging animals through the leavesa few years ago. We used to leave the24 NOV and when that wasThanksgiving we took hell from the women. This isthe only reason I now go the 04 DEC huntfor 3 days.Your time is the best I think - need an extra day causeyou are close to the start, but big bulls are inyour forecast.

I hope you and you group havea great hunt. The next 3 weeks are going to tell us alot about where the animals are.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:25 PM

Nord QC Bouman, Great news- I am heading for Camp Kisk for a hunt that starts Dec. 30th thru Dec 4th. Last year we did not see too many bou on the roadgoing in but we saw plenty once we made the turn towards the Dam. We left for homeon Dec. 2nd. and they were everywhere on the road all the way to the last camp.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Most of the collars are a little farther south thanI would like but there are still some quite a bit north. Remember, the collars are one thing and the distribution of the herd is another. About 50 collars and about a million animals. The weather was funny last year and it screwed up the migration. Hopefully it will be more normal this year. Good luck to all, it won't be long now.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Spike

I was watching the news tonight they say there is some cold weather moving in along with some snow !
Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

LOL. I don't know what you boys in Michigan call a little but we got 7 inches and 40km hour winds on Sunday. Today it got to 50 degrees and a lot of it melted. Tomorrow is supposed to be 52 with rain. Then the rest of the week back to 30-32 with snow flurries. I hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of last year.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:06 AM
Spike

That's the problem being so far away.... trying to figure out what the weather conditions are there. ( we appreciate the up dates ) I agree, we definitely don't need a repeat of last years weather.

LOL; With one eye on the calendar and one eye on the weather... will talk toyou later.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Man, I'm stuck in Georgia on business this week and it's in the 80's down here!! I gotta get back home to PA where it's not so hot. Did some scouting for hogs today and it just didn't seem like hunting when it's so hot!! We're hunting from camp Kisk from 3rd to 5th of Dec!! I hope it's a good year. I'm taking my bow in hopes of getting close to a bull & the rifle just in case. It's almost time!!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, its finally November

I'll be at Donats 22nd - 24th, it'll be my 1st time. I really can't afford this trip so I sure hope we're not too early. I'm taking my bow too, but I won't pull it out till I've got one on the ground with my 308. I'd sure feel stupid paying >1000$ (more like $2000 w/gas) and coming home empty handed.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.