Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Below is a link to a web site for theJames Bay area, lots of interesting info on the James bay highway and surrounding area.

http://www.municipalite.baie-james.qc.ca/html/e_tourisme03.htm
Old 10-16-2006, 04:37 PM

Ref. Capt. Chaos,

My group will be staying at Nouchimi the same dates you are. I'll try to look you up.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Just remember from Nouchimi, it's a 50 mile drive one way to the bridge at the Mirage before you can hunt. Ok...1 mile before the bridge. But I wouldn't put that to a test.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 PM

DARKSIDE55,

I saw that in an earlier post. I had nothing to do with setting up this trip. I signed on as a fill in for a guy who couldn't make it this year. I'm going with a group of 8 that had an earlier date booked at the Mirage last year, and were cancelled due to lack of animals. They decided to move to an end of month date, but couldn't get the date at the Mirage, so moved to Nouchimi.A coupleof the group members have been going up for five years, and say they like Nouchimi, ie. clean, good food, nice folks. Maybe they think the drive isn't that bad ??? I'll have to wait and see. By the way, I'm going to be the youngest in the group, and I'm 64. several of the guys are in their 70s, and with the exception of the cancellation last year, they have always limited out. In any event, I'm going to have a good time, regardless of the driving distance.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I would not discount Nochimi just yet. The Migration is somewhat west and I think this will out a good number of pods crossing above the rapids. You should see some animals around the crossing about K350-353. There is a large pond and a access to the powelines around here that we have seen large crossings in years past. If you get a sled go south of here 10K or so and I think you will see plenty of animals. Check with the indians at the camp - they should be able to give you some advice.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I've been going up there for many years. Sometimes twice a year. At one time or another I have stayed at every camp there. It's not like you have a big choice. There are only 4 of them on the Trans-Taiga. I only mentioned the drive in case you weren't aware of it.

My experience at Nouchimi was this...that's a 100 mile drive round trip every day during which you can't hunt. You have to leave 2 hours before hunting time to be in the Zone when it's daylight. And when you are through hunting you have a 2 hour drive back, at least you do when we go up. It's in December and the roads are a little treacherous. And at $5.50 a gallon Canadian, for gas, it was a very expensive 100 miles every daythat you couldn't hunt.

The other problem we had was if you stay till time to put the guns away and then drive back to Nouchimi, the kitchen was closed when we got there. Which meant no supper and no packed lunch for the next day as we were on American Plan. That I didn't like either.

As far as the camp itself goes, yes the rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff we dealt with was very friendly. And the food was good when we got it. The young lad that worked the gas pumps would even open up for us so we could get gas for the next day. And I don't want you to think we starved because we didn't. We'd go to the Mirage to eat even though we were paying for American Plan at Nouchimi.

If you rent one of Nouchimi's outpost camps, you're European Plan but you're right in the middle of the hunting ground which is good. We even tried that one year. We stopped at the main camp and picked up our licenses then drove to the outpost camp at 440. Now it's dark, the drive to the camp hasn't been plowed, 2 1/2 ft. deep in snow and they knew we were on our way there. We go as couples which means the wives are there too, as the wives are hunters. So we shoveled out a place and moved the trucks off the road as far as we could get them, made a trail to the camp by walking only to find out there was no water in the camp and no firewood for heat (I think they've changed to oil heat now but that's immaterial). Now we've got to turn around and drive around 100 miles back to the main camp and wake somebody up. Anyway, I'm just rambling here. Just thought I'd mention a few things to look for and make sure are done, whether you are staying at the main camp or an outpost.

As a postscript...At 64, you're just a kid. Surprised your momma let's you go that far from home. LOL. I'm sure you will have a great time. We always do. You enjoy your hunt. And don't shoot all the big ones. Leave a few for us.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

DARKSIDE55 - Just wanted to thank you for your posts. Your experience and information has been greatly appreciated. I always enjoy reading your posts in this thread. This is my first time up and I am more then excited! I have half my things packed already and have the migration maps memorized from looking at them so much! We're staying at Kisk. which I've heard is second only to Mirage. The only downfall being the roads to get there!!
Gas in PA has dropped to about $2.09 per gallon...has it dropped up there yet?
Waiting for this trip is worse then being kid waiting for christmas morning to arrive when you know that one package under the tree is shaped like a new gun of some sort!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:15 PM

DARKSIDE55,

Thanks for the information. Knowing this in advance will make it easier to handle the situation.

I figure we'll just drive to the hunting area the first day, fill all our tags with book bou., and be back in plenty of time for dinner. The next two days we'll spend bird hunting and picture taking.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Spike

Darkside55, I wish to ditto the thanks for all of the informative posts. Since you are such a veteran on this trip could you give me your opinion on the best route from North Bay to Rouyn-Noranda. I went in 04 and I thought I remembered a shortcut somewhere in there. Our group will be at Donat's Nov23-26. I hope the timing is right. Also does anyone know what is involved with bringing your own snowmobile regulations and or permit wise. How about renting? does one need to reserve in advance or are there enough up there to get one if needed? Thanks and good luck all.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

BKMSTR

As of 6 am this morning the gas there is $1.16 per litre, which translates to $5.28 per gallon. And our gallon is 1 quart (or litre) bigger than yours. Kiskimaastakin is a nice place and friendly people. Depends on what time of the year you're going, but once the snow hits...yeah the road to there leaves a lot to be desired. But common sense will get you there and back safely. Good luck on your hunt and drive safely.

Lee F

Don't forget, leave a few of those big ones for us. Bring plenty of film and I hope you also get your Ptarmigan.

cwcjr119

Coming out of North Bay there are several ways to go.First...Hwy. 11 to New Liskeard, Hwy. 65 to Notre Dame, Hwy. 101 to Hwy. 117. The shortcut I believe you are looking for, which will save you a fair amount of mileage is...Hwy. 63 out of North Bay to Temiscaming. Then it turns into Hwy. 101, (because now you are in Quebec). Take that straight up to Hwy. 117. Brings you out just a few miles West of Rouyn.

As far as the snowmobiles go, you would need proof of ownership, helmet, insurance and a drivers license. I would certainly hope you wouldn't need snowmobiles in November. LOL. There are 2 places there that rent snowmobiles. That's the Mirage and Kiskimaastakin and whether they would rent snowmobiles to guests not staying at their place, I'm not sure. You'd have to check. In my opinion, dragging snowmobiles and trailers from where you are, up there, you'd be better off to rent them. If I was thinking about renting one, I would definately call ahead and reserve it. Sometimes they have lots there but sometimes they don't. It all depends on how many caribou are in the area and how far away they are. But you better call and see if they will rent to someone not staying there.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. I'm glad to be of help.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.