Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-23-2006, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Spike00, We will be leaving at 1am Wednesday 29th and are driving straight thru. Depending on the weather we should be driving past the Mirage about the time you and your group are getting up for Day 3 of your hunt. (unless of course you have already limited out and are sleeping in)
Old 09-24-2006, 02:03 PM

Hi, first post here, hope I can get some good answers. We have booked a hunt with Nouchimi, in reading all of the post's here, I see they are not viewed upon as being very desirable as a choice of outfitters. I have also read that they are located far away from the hunting grounds. We are supposed to be staying in there lodge from the 26th to the 30th of Nov. Could someone please explain just where we will have to travel to better our chances of success. My father went their last year with a group from Chrysler during the first hunt, and as so many people now know, no one shot or seen any caribou. They stayed at the outpost camp last year, but we couldn't find any other accomodations this year other than the lodge, has anybody stayed at their lodge before? In advance, thanks...Cpt. Chaos
Old 09-24-2006, 02:19 PM

Sorry forgot to also ask, we will be leaving the Detroit area on Sat. Nov. 25, and driving to Matagami the first day then the rest of the way on the 26th to Nouchimi, is there anybody else interested in maybe convoying with us for the trip?

Old 09-24-2006, 03:51 PM

hey cpt chaos I am booked nauochmi outfitters also NOV 18-21. The guys i'm going with, some of them have been doing this for 15 years with the same outfitter. We also stay in one of the outpost camps. As for last year, it was unseasonably warm andnone of the outfitters did well until therivers froze over. I have seen home videos from 02,03, and 04 and there were caribou everywhere. The out post cabins are for the do it yourself type of group. Good luck and prey for cool weather.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

The main lodge is @ K286 which is 40 miles inside area 22A - Assuming you are hunting 22B.LA1 access road is about 70 milesfrom K286and ifyou are going up topthedam is another 30 miles. The outpost camp is kind ofthe same distance on the other side of LA1. 100 clicks can be longif you are creeping along looking fopr animals.

LH is correct with thecold - when the ponds are open the hunt is diffcult anddangerous - we had severalgo thru last year. When the ice is in you can see more crossings and you will also see animals closer to K286 asthey can cross the Grande River easier above the rapids. We have seen animals along the 9 KM stretch to the river just into area 22B.

I am hopingwe are all trying to miss them in theroad and stepping off 3 feet to shoot - lots of big racks to go around. The feveris beginning to set in and it looks likethe migration is on track for a good season all around LA1.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Spike

BKMSTR, I didn't forget about you I haven't found any good pictures with the cap on my truck that I think would help you. I can take some picture of the cap off the truck? It would give you a general ideal. When you get up there you will see all kinds of make shift designs, some better than others ... but they all seem to work well, depends on how handy you are and how much time you want to put into to it. I don't have much time into it and less than fifty dollars.

Nord; Thanks for the updates andthe detail local information it sure helps us that are a long way away, always look foreword to your posting please keep us informed on the migrations and snow fall. Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

No problem spike00. I think we have it pretty well planned out. Question for anyone... Two years ago when my in-laws where up, they quartered their bou to bring them home easier. At the checkpoint, when they checked the animals in, the guy there was not to happy about the way he quartered them. Does anyone know what restrictions there are or what exactly it is they want to see? We are hoping to quarter our animals for easier packaging in the truck for the trip home.

Nord, thanks for the updates, it helps to get the blood pumping... I find myself checking those migration maps daily!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Capt. Chaos, some of my family stayed at Nouchimi a few years back. The only complaints they had were the fact that it was a long drive from the hunting area & they weren't happy with the way their animals were skinned and taken care of. They asked to have the capes saved for shoulder mounts and the guys cut the capes off right at the head. They did their own skinning after that. The bou were everywhere that year and all 5 of them shot nice bulls. The accomodations at the camp were livable. They later went up and stayed at Mirage and found the accomodations much nicer. This fall we're going to stay at camp Kisk from Dec. 4th - 7th. so we'll check out yet another outfitter!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Spike

BKMSTR; when you and your guys stay at Kisk, I think you will be very happy with the accommodations they have to offer.I have been there lodging and food are both good.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM

BKMSTR, I am not sure why they would be concerned about the way they were quartered unless it was difficult for them to confirm KILL count. As far as I know they simply want to check the kill tags against the body count. Last year when we checked in they went thru a lot of effort(it was cold and snowing at the time)to check tags against amount of legs.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.