Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

If you have any pictures of your rig, I would appreciate them. You can email them to [email protected] or just post them in this thread. I'm sure everyone else would enjoy seeing them. We were actually thinking of doing just that. We plan to put all gear in totes and slide under the platform and then quarter bou out and place in open totes on top and then cover with tarp. This would keep the meat out of the open air and all the road spray. We prefer to quarter the animal and cape the head out so we don't have extra weight/space to take home. If you've mastered this, I wouldn't mind seeing your plans!! - Thanks Anyone have an idea what gas is bringing in Quebec right now? In PA it has dropped to 2.59 per gal.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Don't have a coronary my friend. LOL. But in Southern Quebec gas is $4.00 a gallon. In Caribou country it's a little over $5.00. But remember our gallon is bigger that yours. 5 of ours makes 6 of yours.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Spike

yea, Darkside has a real pointthe cost of fuel can dip into your pocket ... we split it up six ways between two trucks that helps ease the pain.We have one guy ("the fuel chief") that takes care of all gas, coffee and fuel for the snowmobilesfor the whole trip. stop in fuel up... pull the money from the Kittie pay forthe fuel for thetrucks or snowmobiles, it has worked well for the last seven years.Itmay not be the best system, but it is a system.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

We use that same system when we travel to Canada hunting. One person is to say "the secretary" of the trip and everyone puts money in the kitty. When the kitty gets low, we all put in again. That covers gas, coffee, meals, etc. The system works well. Gas will be the biggest expense of the trip at $5.00 per gallon! We've traveled up to hunt moose twice now and I still haven't seen one. Right now, I'm trying to focus on whitetail. Archery season is just around the corner!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Hey Spike 00, I found gas on Sundayat Rawsonville/I-94 and Textile/Bridge for $2.08 (speedway)and $2.07(bp).I filled up all of my vehicles and started to fill up some of the 5 gallon fuel containers we take to Quebec.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Spike

Hey Big or small. I wish gas was so low in NY, it's still @ $2.75 up here. I spoke with a guy from Canada last week, he told me not to bring gas across unless it's empty cans? Does anyone have any advice on the subject. Someone mentioned that you have to pay duty on gas when you cross the border? Can't wait....tillCaribou time
Old 09-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I crossed the border in August to go up fishing and had 15 gallons of gas (3 5 gallon cans) exposed in my boat and nothing was said. We take a family vacation just above the 1000 Islands region each August and I always take up enought gas for my boat. They didn't ask about it and I didn't say anything. Now that doesn't mean it was OK...I just might not have gotten caught and didn't know there was a problem with it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Good rule of thumb is to say NO when they ask if you have anything to declare. US side is much more worried about what you are briging back.The requirements on declarations ongoods going in is quote hign in terms of volumes - beer is 85 liters,gas is100 Liters, etc.If you told the border cop you had5 casesof beer and 20 gallons of gasthey will waive you through. Make sureGas is in approved containers - I had a green can some years back they gave me a real hard time as it needed to be red. Ihave painted that old military canred for futuretrips.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Spike

Nice to see gas prices making its way backdown, talk about something out of control!!! I have a diesel so I am still paying a Good price for fuel.

Starting to get anxious about the upcoming caribou season.... We just sent in ourfinial deposit to the Mirgae for this year hunt (Nov 27 to Dec 1) .

Big or Small: when are you guys leaving ?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

spike00, did you find any pictures of your rig yet? I want to get started on building something and would like to see what you've perfected if possible.
- thanks

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.