Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

big or small kill em all - we are booked for Kiskamistaken from Dec. 4th - 7th. Keep this forum in mind and let us know what you find when you get there! We're planning to arrive the evening of the 3rd as our hunt starts the 3rd. This is my first time up, but the people I'm traveling with have both been up before. They have not stayed at kiskamistakin yet though...
Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 PM

Hi BKMSTR, I stayed at Kiskamaastakim last year and was happy with the camp. The living areas are kept clean and the meals were plentiful. Although it is about 80 km from the other camps I prefer it because it is not as crowded. Depending on the weather/road conditions it can take 11/2 hours plus to get to the camp from the Mirage. We will probably pass you on the road as we are leaving. I still have an open spot on our group as one of our team cannot go. I will keep in touch.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

The two peopel with me have stayed at Mirage before. This is our first time at Kisk... Do I understand you correctly that it can take up to 11 hours from Mirage!!!? Just how bad are the roads? We're taking an F150 4x4 crew with small trailer. We have chains for both vehicle (all 4 tires) and for the trailer to keep it from breaking side to side. What dates were you up last year?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Dude, it's only 50 miles, one and a half hours, you read the post wrong. And you better check on the use of chains. As far as I know, they are illegal to use. They are in this province. In all the years I've been going up there I've never seen a set of chains on anything.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

You can only use them to get "unstuck" but cannot drive with them. Not many fish cops above Laforge but I would not chance it. Predictions are for snow so its a good idea to have some chains handy and a shovel. The way to Kisk can be tough when it snows - leave the trailor home if you can. Build a paltform on your pickup to stow gear and put the animals on the platform.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Chains are useless on hard pack anyways. They only help if you are in loose or slushy. Studded tires work well on the pack but don't know if they are allowed there or not.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

I was hoping I read that wrong. I didn't think it was nearly that far. I did email the "provincial police" or whatever they are called up there and they told me on those roads they overlook the whole chains thing. They prefer to see people only use them when absolutely needed, but as long as the roads are ice/snow covered, they really don't say anything.
The time is getting closer!!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

In Ontario it's OPP, Ontario Provincial Police.
In Quebec it's QPP, Quebec Provincial Police.

Just to be on the safe side, I would print that email out showing that they overlook it. You never know...you may need proof that they told you that. I've been going up there for many years, like I said. We drive Ford 4X4's. Have never needed studs or chains. Drive according to the road conditions up there, whichis slooooow and you should be fine. I've seena few vehicles off in the ditch, most of which were pulling trailers that did not have brakes. So when you hit your vehicle brakes the trailer then puts you in the ditch. And tow jobs out of there are VERY expensive. Auto Club or not!! LOL. All in all, it's a great time and a great hunt and a bunch of fun guys up there. As soon as I'm through with the Bear and Moose hunting here and the Caribou decide to go where they are supposed to be (hopefully this year they will) I'll be there too.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. Drive with common sense and take it easy when the roads get bad. I have new goodyear's on my truck and with the trailer we'll just have to take it slower. We still may look at a way to fit everything on the truck without the trailer. It's just such a long drive home for us that we don't want bou hang'n off the sides of the truck and out in the open catching all the road spray. The goal was to build a small box about 18" high on the trailer and then seal it up and keep the bou in that. I've butchered white-tail all my life and I'm very particular how I treat my venison.
Is anyone else getting excited yet? So much to get together and so little time!! Darkside, how is the bear & moose hunting going? I've tried moose hunting near Senneterre twice now with no luck. They are more difficult to hunt then I gave credit.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Pay attention to conditions and drive accordingly. Great advice. Getting by without a trailer if you can is also good advice, especially if you're going past LA-1. If you haul whole carcasses back cut the legs off at the knee and buy some poly-tarps, they're cheap.In six years we've only had one vehicle go off the road and needed to be hauled out ( by the snowplow ) and there are always at least 9 or 10 vehicles in our group. Started getting the money together for the final payment. That's the last big job till the drive up there. Nov. 30, Big bulls.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.