Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

We have quite a large group so we reserve a couple of sleds ahead of time. We also take plastic tub sleds to pull behind. We stay in contact by radio and work together when hauling out. Then we split the cost betweenwhoever wants in.It seems to work for us.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

FYI - the lodge has a new outfit handling the smow machine business and they are offeringf deals if you reserve. You can save ~ 50$ on a 2 day rental that brings it down to 110$ CAN a day - not bad if you split it with a few in your group.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If caribou are bigger than deer but smaller than elk, are they CPX2 sized, or CPX3 ?
I need to start getting the .308 ready for the fall.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Does anyone have a good list of gear to bring (names of brands of clothing and everything?)? I'm looking at going on a caribou hunt with Mirage Outfitters Decemeber 2007 but I'm needing to figure out what all I need. I have a large assortment of cold weather clothing and such but was wondering if there was any special equipment that would come in handy. I'm from Indiana so stuff like snow shoes are not in my current inventory.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. So my plan is as soon as we get there; listen to the pilots/guides/hunters to figure out where the groups are. Rent snowmobiles if needed. Tag out in the morning and hunt ptarmigan the rest of the week.

We'll see if my plan works

Cheers,
Old 07-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good to me. It's always good to have a plan but somehow nothing seems to go quite according to plan. It's always good to have a back up. You'll have a good time either way. All this chatter is giving me the urge to shoot something. Where's the neighbors cat?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

1 set Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter Snowshoes 10x36 3 pair Cabela's Polar Expedition-Weight Polartec® Power Dry Drawer - Regular 3 Pair Cabela's Polar Expedition-Weight Polartec® Power Dry Crew - Regular 6 Pair SmartWool OTC Extra-Heavyweight Hunting Sock 1 Psolar® EX Balaclava 1 Pair Cabela's GORE-TEX® / MT050® Whitetail Extreme Shooting Glove 1 pair Rocky® Snowstalker® Extreme - 1,200 Gram 3 pair Cabela's Military Weight Polartec® Power Stretch Pants 3 pair Cabela's Military Weight Polartec® Power Stretch Zip-Top 1 Cabela's GORE-TEX® MT050® Whitetail Extreme™ Parka - Regular 1 Cabela's GORE-TEX® MT050® Whitetail Extreme™ Bibs - Regular
1 Pair Quaility Optics
1 Range Finder (I'm a bowhunter)

This is the list that I have generated so far this is for a 3 day hunt. Of course I have my weapons I'm bring with but I'm just trying to find a standard equipment list. These all say cabelas because it was the easiest place for me to do my research on cold weather clothing right now. Its 90 degrees out where i'm at and no one is stocking cold weather equipment. But I'm going to keep my eyes open this winter to see what I can find because cabelas is on the expensive side.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

The bibs are a good idea or a full suit. Make sure your boots are - 150 or better - Bafins are great boots and have good mobility. The more weight that you have the harder the drags will be. I generally use a bib with hunting coat that has a shell. You have to have an orange vest front and back and I use an insulated one with pockets. I use Polartec unders that breath and wick well. I also bring plenty of warmers - put some 8 hour in your boots - you will need with 1200 gm Rockies - and bring some along for hands if needed.

I always used MT050cold weather gloves and I have changed to a Artic Research glove system, since the gloves did not cut it. I highly recommend this for Laforge area. THe inner glove is real thin - but warm - and allows you or handle GPS, radio, ammo, action, etc. like you are bare handed. When your fingers start to feel it, flip on the mit and in a miniute your hands are totally warm. They are also real easy to take on and off andafter warming your handsinside your animal, they go right back on without and struggle.

GPS I would not forget. Compass is OK also - just know the DA. Above the Dam the road is not straight and you might find is harder to hit. I have been out on a sled a mile or so, and it was snowing, covering my tracks. After sitting for an hour - my trail was totally covered. All the ponds look the same and with a GPS I would have used some gas to find my way out.

Last thing is a bomber hat - you will be glad that you brought this - and a face shield if things get ugly.

Weather is a big factor - 2004, 20-30 belowF - stiff 40 km wind. 2005, 20-25 F - I dressed my last animal in my under shirt with my fall hunting cap.

4 months and 4 days I am heading Nord.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I honestly had spaced my GPS. The dragging isn't going to be such an issue we are renting snowmobiles up there 1 for every 2 hunters going along with our drag sleds we should be alright with that. The bomber hat is a good idea. I haven't hunted cold weather in 10 years since I moved from northern minnesota and I've forgotten almost EVERYTHING about hunting cold weather.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: ACutting

Does anyone have a good list of gear to bring ? - sounds like you have the right clothing. ] if you read over this whole thread there are many tips and pointers. being your going with the mirage you will be taken care of nicely!. i like these items - http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_i..._id=610http:// www.snowstuf.com/ http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.a...oryID%7citemid

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.