Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 02-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Thanks for the info guys. I told them we'd stay at our current dates of dec. 3,4,5.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to bring this thread back up, again, but I just found out that I'm going to Donats last week of November '06.

I hadn't even looked at this thread untill yesterday when I was invited to fill a hole in a group, now I'm very interested, but after reading 21 pages I felt the need to type a bit

If I keep reading will I find pics of all your trophies?

More importantly, I've read that bou are thin skinned, ifI bring my bow as-is ready for whitetail am I good to go, or should I dial it up and play with my set-up for the bigger animals?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, there are photos on this thread.

Can't help on the archery question---stay tuned it will get answered---this is a GREAT thread. CB
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Caribou are nothing but an extra large deer. They are quite a bit bonier. If you are set up to kill whitetail, you should have no problem with the caribou. One other thing I wanted to mention...we're not talking crossbows are we? Because they are illegal, you can't use them for caribou in that area.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

My recommendation would be to be prepared for bow and rifle. Some years they are all walking around you as you pick the one you want - other years I am taking 3-400 yard shots for a good bull. I brought my bow for a few years, but now just stick to rifle.I think rifle will give you more opportunity to get the animal you want.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

The last of Nov. in 05 was great for bow hunting. Next year who knows. There is certainly no harm in taking a bow. They could be tento 400 yards away.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 PM

mullis56,

My 2 friends and I are seriously interested in the Safari Nordik hunt. We are actually waiting for their form to come in the mail to book the hunt and send deposits.

Are you still game for 2007? Would like to know if you still have that connection with the US outfitter for Safari Nordik. At $3995 is a lot better than their advertised 4,995.00 USD + License cost. We can all get a group rate.

I also emailed you in case you didn't get this post.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

I was too late for the lottery this year and am thinking about booking a trip for next winter. I've done the fall hunt north of shefferville, but not the winter hunt. For anyone that has done both, does the rut and migration they go through between the fall and winter hunt effect the taste of the meat?

Cheers,
Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

The only thing I know about the meat is on woodland caribou from Newfoundland. The official wildlife directory for Newfoundland/ Labrador says that the meat of a stag killed during the rut can be unpalatable. I have been 3 years in a row and always take my stag during the last week in October and all 3 have been great eating. The rut starts during the last of Sept and extends to mid Oct. Some of the bou that were taken during my hunts have really smelled rank but mine have all been OK. It would be a real shame if one was a badbecause the meat is so good.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

CI, in 1998 my brother-in law and I were ready to go to Newfoundland in October, but he died in May of 1998. I had bought a Ruger 7mm mag for the adventure and was excited about the Caribou hunt to come.
Just before X-Mas of last year I sold the rifle, scope and ammo.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.