Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 02-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Thanks for posting the link. It was very interesting to read. NO CHAINS! Thatn stinks :-( I'm definitely going to have new 6-ply tires put on my vehicle before we go. I may also pull the spare off my wife's Durango so I have two spares for mine. I've heard so much about bou hunting and I've been to Quebec twice hunting moose so now I'm really getting the fever!! OI hunted moose east of Sennetere. I'm in it just as much for the experience as the kill. Is it almost Dec. yet?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

I've been up there Caribou hunting probably 30 times. Every time's a new experience. Once when we were up there, we went around a curve and came upon a lake that had Caribou, 50 to 100 abreast and stretched from one end of the lake to the other, which was miles long. I got it all on video tape. Made me feel like I was taping for the Discovery Channel. They just kept coming for 3 days, 24 hours a day. We had shot all of ours already. There were so many big bulls out there, I started to get sick. lol.

I spend my off time around here, like now, watching the wolves chase the moose. The wolves make a lot of winter kills. If they catch a sick or old moose on a lake, it's all over for the moose. But a wolf pack is very smart. Moose will always run to a lake when in trouble, frozen or not. The pack has one wolf chase till it wears out, then another one moves up to take it's place. And that keeps up till the moose can't go any more. But that's nature. Then in the spring, they get hit again. Bears taking the calves.

I think you'll have a great time up there Caribou hunting. Main thing is to enjoy yourself, which I'm sure you will. December will be here before you know it.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

87 miles from Mirage to Kiski sounds right on. It's about 125 mi. form Mirage to the end of the road past Kiski. The first time I was up that far Kiski wasn't open for the winter hunt. You're right about Dec. being not far off. I still have a couple of openings for Nov.30 if anyone is interested.The experience really is different every time. The thrill of the kill is great but the experience itself and the opportunity to take video of seemingly endless heards is just as exciting.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

30 times... I would definitely consider you an expert. I'm planning at this point to take my bow to attempt making an archery kill. I'm sure I may not be able to wait for the largest of bulls, but I would be tickled to even take a cow with my bow. I've killed many white-tails in PA with my bow, but have never used it for anything larger. Any advice? Has anyone done this?
Old 02-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

It's just like hunting anything else with a bow. Everything's got to come together. You need lots of animals crossing the roads and the lakes. I've been there some years when you didn't even need the bow, you'd just take the shaft and shove it in them. lol. Other times you were lucky to get a 200 yd. shot with a rifle. I would take your bow and a rifle. That way you've got the best of both worlds. Like I said, if there's lots of animals there and they are crossing the roads and close to the shores, no problem. I've shot 4 with a bow when the conditions were right. But I always had the back up.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

The bou that you shot with your bow, what broadheads did you use? I use rocky mountain revolution broadheads for white-tails. Would you reccommend an expandable or fixed blade? As with anything you hunt with a bow, It's probably all about shot placement. I can carry my rifle on my pack, so my plan was to take them both. If the bou are close, I'll use the bow, but just in case that "huge" bull stands about 100yds out, I'll have the rifle right there handy. Providing you are able to carry both on you. I have to check local game laws for that. My father-in-law was telling me the one year he went up he figured you could have almost knifed one! LOL They were amazed at how far the animals would go after being double lunged by an 30 cal bullet. I'm wondering how far they'll go after being double lunged by a broadhead.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 125 Thunderhead. Just think of the caribou as an extra large deer. Because that's what they are, but very boney. And the shot has to be well placed. If they're running or moving fast, they're just like any other animal. They will go for a while after they're hit. And yes you are allowed to carry a bow and a rifle, no problem there. I just thought I'd put this in here so I'm sure we're on the same page. Crossbows are illegal and cannot be used. I would think a 3 or 4 fixed blade would be your best bet. I hit a bull once, 30 ft. away, shaft went right through him. He just stood there looking around, bleeding. I drew back again and he just dropped dead...never moved. I used a 300 Browning, hit one 75 yds. away, took off up a little hill and into the brush. Ran about 100-150 yds. When it was field dressed, one lung was gone and the heart was in 3 pieces. Go figure!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

DK, Our Kiskimaastakin called today and left me a message to call them. I'm thinking it may be about the weeks we chose. He was going to contact me if he had anything earlier available. At this point, we are sched. for Dec, 4th, 5th, & 6th. The other week he thought he might have an opening was Nov. 20, 21, & 22. Which weeks do you think we have a better chance? - Thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Both of those dates should be good according to the last 3 years and the migration. Who knows what next year will bring. My personal choice if I was going up at that time of year would be Dec. 4, 5, & 6.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

We went up this year 11/20 thru the 23rd & they were not down yet. Only caribou that were being taken were with the Mirage helicopter. There was a group that was about 20KM out. I would opt for the 12/4 date if I were you.

Next time I head up it will be the last week of November. CB

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.