Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-08-2004, 11:57 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hey Terry,

I called today and ordered a few snow machines with a sleigh for our trip - figuring if the herd is farther away we'll be covered. I'd rather travel with a snow machine anyway, get's you off the beaten path.

If the weather/road is good for driving we'll just drive to a crossing as you have suggested.

Can't wait!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Terry, do you need a bowhunter Ed card to bowhunt in Quebec?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I don't think so unless the rules have changed. All we were ever asked for was our money, never even asked to produce a proof of hunting experience. When bow hunting up there you may have to wear a blaze orange vest by law. We all rifle hunted exclusively but saw a few archers coming out of the woods with the vests on. This is a very easy hunt and archery is very doable but the best bull you see all week may be 400 yds away walking across a frozen lake, just a thought As for trophy quality, as already staed you likely won't put one the book but there are still some good ones. Last time I saw one that a guy from Ohio bagged that was stunning! Looked like an Alaskan trophy. They are not common but there are some whoppers, just don't shoot the first one you see.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:11 PM

I know it is against everyone's will....but is anyone else going to Donat this year? We are booked but will go to Mirage going forward. What are the rules up there, blaze vest and hat or just vest? Is it just open hunting? I have talked with a guy from this forum you more than likely won't get a trophy record book animal, but you can get 2 mountable trophies on this trip but not record books. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder, and this will be done on this trip!!!!!!! I AM EXCITED......Oct. 1st whitetail season then Dec 2-5 Caribou, taxidermist is ready for my money, at least I hope.

I'm confident in these dates, lets all keep talking about the map and the migration....and about the excitement.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:11 PM

Here's the link for the regs Mullis56; www.fapaq.gouv.qc.ca.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mullis, we'll have to compare notes after the hunt. I'll be hunting with Nouchimi Dec 5,6,7

Leave at least one decent one for me
Old 08-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys,
You have excellent dates and should take some nice buls, don't worry. Use the website and track the herds a couple weeks before you leave it should keep you pumped. As for hunting out of Donat Flamand, I wouldn't worry. A group of my buddies went there 3 years ago and were perfectly happy. I also dropped in and looked at the accomdations and they seemed perfectly OK to me. But thats me, some people need a a lounge with bar, waitresses and pool tables. Thats what Mirage has, definitely swankier. I go there to see caribou and kill 2. Take your time and don't shoot too fast. When you see a good one it will just plain look better than everything else. When I shot my mounter I watched him cross a huge frozen lake from several hundred yards away and he just kept getting better compared to the 50 or 60 others he was travelling with. Dropped him with one 180 partition from my stainless model 7 in .308 win. He reared up on his rear legs at the shot, barfed a bunch of blood and then nose planted on the ice, game over never went more than 10 ft. 240 yd shot. One thing I may not have mentioned is that caribou bloat instantly when killed and you REALLY REALLY have to gut them carefully. The gas will come spraying out if you even just nik the intestines. Do not go up there without a gut hook type blade. I used a Wyoming hook.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:38 PM

It may be a good time for my cameraman to learn to gut Caribou then!

Keep the tips coming, and guys please post with tips, tricks, pics, and other info in the coming months. With this footage, we are not only planning for stock film but a one hour special regarding hunting bou in the LG4....maybe for the new WildTV network.

Should be good!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

TERRY M YOU HAVE NO CLUE!!!!when i hunted ( no one will probably tell you) you were allowed to cut up (hide still on the meat) and take the 4 quarters and the back strap and i also tookthe neck roast.i did mine in front of the game wardens which heard me shoot and came over for a look. i didnt have to gut at all. it fits nicely on the hitch hauler and roof racks better than a whole animal. we were told not to eat the heart or liver do to some kind of contamination( i think mercury). i just kept my antlers and didnt get my trophy mounted but if your getting one mounted then you would have to gut and cape the game out preferably in the first half hour do to bloating from the exteme cold.i went on my trip with thinking it would mostly be a meat hunt( as told to me by the camp) because the nice racks are harder to get in december. i did have one hide tanned . although it was beautiful as a throw rug it slips and looses a little too much hair. take my word on the northern caribou adventures and donat asselin. to me it was like hunting out of a sardine can. you get all crammed up with other hunters in a old cheesey construction trailer with stinky kerosene heat NO SHOWERS and i think till this year just added hot water. you have no clue how bitter things can get up there if the caribou are no where to be found.if you go before or around thanksgiving there are no guarantees. every hunter who goes up there during the peak of caribou migration will have a great time no matter where you stay but unless you have been up there hunting for days all couped up in a tin can trailer with no caribou in the area you have no idea what your talking about. id like to hear the reports when everyone gets back. the MIRAGE is no super fancy place either i dont know what people are thinking but at least they have showers hot food and a better overall set up makes for a great hunt.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:58 PM

Hi everyone.

I've been following this thread with interest since June when I stumbled upon this board after doing an internet search for caribou hunting. I am very intrigued, and I am strongly considering booking a hunt with either Mirage or Nouchimi in 2005. My rifle of choice will be my newly acquired Ruger M77 in 35 Whelen, and my two buddies will likely be using a 300 Win Mag and a BLR in 358 Winchester. My impression is that the 35 Whelen and 300 Win Mag are both a little much for caribou unless engaging at longer ranges, but the 358 is probably just right for the ranges expected between Thanksgiving and the 2d week of December. I will probably drive from Monroe, Louisiana and pick up my friends in Atlanta, Ga and drive up from there. Flying sounds better every day, btw, but I don't plan on returning empty handed, and I will be driving a restored 82 Jeep Cherokee and pulling an enclosed trailer for gear and caribou meat.

I plan to invest in some snow camouflage clothing, tire chains, a down sleeping bag for minus 10 degrees fahrenheit weather, and do a lot of shooting to get ready. I have really enjoyed all the posts, and believe me I have read them all.

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, Louisiana

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.