Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 02-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

BK -

If you could find a way not to haul a trailerI would leave it at home. I see many breakdowns, one of which was our in 2005. A real pain. Aside from this it is hauling the thing - gas and moving it around. Camp Kisk is well up above the dam and some years to road is rough to pass just with a truck. I watch some guys get pulled off the road at K30 or so above Laforge last year. You rig should take 4 on tied on the roof no problem. You can even bolt a 4x8 sheet to the rack and set them on this. Much less hassle than a trailor and depending where you are comming from alot less gas.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

We are also going up with 1 short. We will be at the Mirgage Dec 04, 05 and 05. We leave from S.NH on DEC 02 2006. Anyone that needs a spot let me know - $511.00 is due now for the deposit.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

A trailer is the last thing I would take up there. But if you are going to take one, make sure you've got extra bearings and spare tires and rims. Because believe me, if it breaks down it will cost you more to get it fixed than to buy a new one. A buddy of mine had a Durango and he took 6 Caribou back on the top. As far as the dates go, the last 3 seasons, Nov. 20 to Dec. 10 have been the best time. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

We also took a trailer the first time. It was more bother than it was worth. Since then we have gotten along fine with a truck. This yearone in our group pulled an enclosed trailer with a suburban with a 40 gal. tank. They had to stop for fuel sooner than those of us with 26 gal. tanks. I have a crew cab truck that hauls three of us and our gear and animals. It's tight but we get by ok. Two to a truck is about right. The reason we get away with three is because I built a rack to haul stuff on top. We also have had some guys back out and have room Nov. 30 to Dec. 3 hunt at Mirage.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I think a full size truck would be ideal for us, but at this point, we have access to a Ford Ranger & Dodge Durango. I wouldn't be very excited about strapping 4/6 bou to the top of my vehicle. I think it gives hunting a bad name when you pirade 1300 miles with a dead animal on top your vehicle. We always try to keep anything exposed covered up. I'm not as worried about the gas as I would be being able to get through the roads with the trailer. I've pulled trailers with my Durango before and the gas mileage stays about the same with or without the trailer. We're thinking about taking some type of chains for the trailer to keep it from breaking away and pulling the vehicle off the road. I have plenty of spare parts for the trailer as I build them on the side. I'm really excited about the trip since this will be my first time bou hunting. I've hunted Moose in quebec twice and I've grown to love that place!!
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Spike

In 04, we had 4 hunters,a crew cab pickup, and an aluminum 5x10 enclosed trailer. The setup worked great for us. We left the trailer in camp and were able to lock up the gear that we didn't think we would need during the days hunting. We limited out and were able to transport the animals out of sight and protected from the elements.

This year we are going again and may pull a 6x12 with a sled in it. I know they are available for rent but have heard that sometimes if the animals are not close everyone wants to rent one and they may be hard to get.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

I was just giving you my opinion from being up there for the last 12 years. Sometimes twice a year. Did you not notice all the snowmobile trailers and other types of trailers setting around at the different outfitters? They didn't buy them. They were ones that were left and were picked up and fixed. I've seen a lot of trailers go up there and have no problem. So it depends on how lucky you feel I guess.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Spike

Anyone that goes should definately make sure their equipment is in top notch condition before leaving. Repair parts for bearings and hubs should also be taken. As well as spare parts for your vehicle, such as fuel filter, fuel pump, starter, and alternator. Iv'e heard of brand new vehicles having problems up there too. Everyone is different in what they have available to use and the amount of gear, preparedness, and they way they like to travel. Bottom line IMHO, whatever you take, make sure it's in good shape and be prepared at least for some of the more common problems.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

We were planning on having the outfitter skin & quarter the caribou for us. For $40 sounded like a deal to me. We figured boxed they would fit in the bed of the truck pretty easy on the drive out. You guys haul them out whole & process them at your home? CB

It's still a long, long, LONG drive.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

A lot of us that live up here do. I can see why you wouldn't want to. LOL

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.