Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 01-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Alright, it's been over a month since anyone posted anything. Has anyone been watching the migration map? The pattern iskind of wierd this year.A lot of the herd is way north of where they usually are at this time of year.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

It's been like this the last 3 years. The last few winters here have been very mild and the Caribou don't have to forage hard for food. I think that's what's interrupted their migration pattern. If they turn around before Feb. 15, I'm going back up. Right now, there's a lot in the resident hunting zone but not even close to the non-resident zone.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Ok, time to start sending money in for 06. Who's going back? I'm taking 06 off but plan on 07. CB
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

OK - I'm putting the 1st down today for Dec 06. Can't wait.

Sounds like alot of the hunters got skunked this season. I have noticed that the heard is keeping off the road more and more. We saw some tracks fromthe Laforge Road (LA-1), but nothing like in preiouse years -the ones that look like a sled trail groomer.

Our luck - and we all tagged out - was in 2 areas. The first was south of the Taiga Roadfrom Laforge back to the Mirage along the east flow of the Polaris. They were constant in groups of 7-15 comming off thewater. We picked a good spot highon a run and got 9 in this area on the second day of hte hunt.

The last day wewentto KM30-40 abovethe LA-1 dam and they were all overthat area. Constant animals moving in the woods and along the road. It seems thatthey are tending to hang about 500m to 2 miles off the road ways - possibly they are evolving because ofthe hunting pressure up top. This year they seemed much more skidish than years before.

The best betis to get a sled and move out intothe woods where some runs are and you will see animals- the last maps still show them in and around the LA-1 dam. Many are also moving back into the calving areas to the Leaf River - real early for this time of year but this may also mean the heardis goingto be strong. The are hunted hardwhen they come down to the wintering grounds so gettingback up earlyis good for the heard and also means thatthesnow is not deep and food is reachable.

As a side note on being hunted hard - I mean the Cree at a 10X rate than what usSportsman do in that area. I think ifthey are heading north they are being pushed there.

Keep the conservation and lodges going -and keep hunting Bou!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sending down payment in to Mirage soon. I have a few openings for Nov. 30 if anyone is interested. It has always been a productive time in the six years that I have been going. Some years better than others but have never been skunked.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with you on the time. When our group 1st started going we always left either Thanksgiving or the day aftergetting us up top for the 27th for the 4 days hunt. This is generally the best chance to see alot of big animals. 4 from out group this year went earlyand they couldnot believe the number of animals they saw. They tagged out in 2 days and headed back.

We may move in earlier in 2007.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Spike

I just put money down with NCA for Nov. 23-26, 06. I've tried several times to get in at Mirage with no luck. It sounds like the migrations are getting a lot more hit and miss. We were there the 20th-24th of Nov. in 04 and had animals all over. I think I will bring a sled this time. I just hope the lakes are frozen over. Good luck to all.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:12 PM

I sent my deposit in for Nov.30th thru Dec.3rd at Camp Kiskimaastakin. Two of us got our limit this year in the first afternoon. We shot some nice animals but will be more selective this year. We saw over 10,000 caribou in 3 days. One herd at the dam on Nov. 30th was about 6-7 head wide and at least 3/4 of a mile long. (what a sight) Most of the hunters around the dam were shooting animals no more than 50 feet off of the road.
Hey CB I am leaving in the morning for Keystone for a couple days of skiing.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Spike

A member of our party backed out. We have a spot booked for Nov 29 2006 at Donats. If there is another party going at the same time and wants to take another hunter let me know.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

We just booked our hunt at Kiskimaastakin for Dec. 4th - 8th. My father-in-law and brother-in-laws have been up before and stayed at Nouchimi once and then at Mirage. The first time they went up, they pulled a trailer and had some problems with the trailer breaking away and pulling the vehicle in the ditch. With only 3 of us going this year, we're thinking of taking a 6x10 trailer pulled by a Durango. Anyone have any bad experiences with trailers or have any advice for us? Anyone ever been up over those dates and had success or not?

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.