Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

The weather is keeping a large part of the heard northeast in the Bienville Lac area and east. So much chooper flights in had broken off ~ 100K of the heard an these headed south just after Thanksgiving. All the animals that we saw were (or seemed to be) heading Northeast again. The snow is not deep and as long as they can browes, they will stay up top. Camp Kisk is still seeing animals but they are 60 klicks north of them atleast. We saw the majority of animals 30-40 klick north of Laforge Dam a week ago - all moving NE.

Many animals are still in the woods south the tiaga road but are sparse and need to be worked to get. Snow machine is needed in the woods to the south. We saw more activity dowm thetiaga road to the dumpters than comming up. It is getting colderand snowier up top so I think that hunts in the next few days to 2 weeks may be OK with some work.

I advise talkingto the scouts at your lodge and any locals that you see - we got some good information here.

I am already booked for 4-5-6 DEC 2006.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Spike

Anyone have suggestions for getting good maps of the hunting area?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Mirgae Lodge sells some suedo topo maps of the area and you can get from the Lasarre (sp) office. I picked up a great map the the fish cop station at K381 - 15$ CA and it is laminated. Shows all sector 22A and B - very detailed.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Spike

Thanks much, I didn't know they sold them at 381 or I would have picked one up in 04. Planning another trip for 06
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Has anyone ever hunted the Labrador winter hunts there's 2 or 3 outfitters that have winter hunts ?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1331320

There is a shortcut to a thread about it may be something there.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Good morning All,

Just got back from Caribou hunting. Thought I'd update this thread as of Dec. 21. The nearest Caribou in the non-resident hunting zone and the Trans-taiga road are over 200 miles away and still going further away. There's not even a track where you can hunt. So if you're going up there, better check the maps and see if they turn around. This trip was not fun.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Long drive for not-----We missed it this year also. Merry Christmas, maybe in 06---we will time it better. CB
Old 12-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah we did too. And I live here. Last three hunting seasons, the caribou have either been there and gone or they never came at all. Some guys have had luck towards the last two weeks of November or the first week of December. After that, it's been a waste of time and money. Looks like the caribou have changed their migration pattern. The 4 outfitters there really never let you know anything. Quebec government needs to change the hunting zone if the caribou keep up with their last three migration patterns. This year one outfitter was only open for 2 weeks, or you could go and rent a snowmobile for $150.00 per day and ride 100 miles and drag them back or rent a helicopter for a couple of thousand and chase them down. lol That's not my kind of hunting. The long and short of it is, a lot of money and guys going up there and hunting with bad results. And one or two weeks out of a three month season and a hundred guys getting their animals out of over a thousand, is not good. And it's been like that like I said, for 3 seasons. I will never book well in advance again. I'll wait to see if the caribou are there. No sense in throwing my money away again.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I hear you, Darkside-----Kind of hard to do a last minute hunt when I'm in Colorado---have to book airlines, arrangements with work schedules, etc. I may give it 1 more try inthe last of November. Good Hunting CB

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.