Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Wolf: Great to hear you had a good time. Can you post pics? Talk to you soon.

Regards!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:44 AM

mullis56--you going to newfouldland next year? CD
Old 12-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Spike

Big & Small, How was camp Kiskimaastikin? I'm planning to go in 06 and am thinking about giving them a try if they have openings. What was good and what was not so good about them? Congrats on success.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:54 PM

Yes, I am End Sept/Beg of Oct. Are you going? Still awaiting for more caribou pics from everyone who went this year.

Thanks,

mullis56
Old 12-04-2005, 04:55 PM

CWCJR119, The camp was well run. All of the staff were helpful. We stayed in what looked to be a newly remoldeled trailer. The room we had for the two of us was too small. There was not enough room for our gear. Basically all you could do was sleep in it. I did noticed that there were larger rooms. Since they "squezzed" us in maybe that's all they had left.
There was a washer/dryer for anyone to use.(free) The two bathrooms had 2 showers and one toilet and were well maintained. The food was excellent.(eggs to order for breakfast, pancakes, bacon and sausage with all the fixins.) Lunch was either a bag lunch you grabbed at breakfast if you were not coming in or hamburgers, pizza etc. Dinner was always soup, 2 vegetables, 2 meats, salads and dessert. The cafeteria was a great place to socialize with other hunters. It is a long drive from all the other camps(about 140 km?? or about a 2 hour drive) I am sure that during bad weather the road is very difficult to travel down,(lots of steep hills andnarrow) I did like the fact that since we were so far away that there were not as many hunters. As I said in my previous post there were many gutpiles left right on the edge of road and we saw many dead caribou left to rot.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

There is an unwritten rule about caribou hunting. Those of you who have done it know this rule. Ten minutes after you fill your last tag a bigger one comes by.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Another great trip to Mirage. As always we were treated great. They do a great job truing to accomodate their customers. I 've noticed that some guys don't seem to care for Mirage but I've been going there for six years and haven't had any major problems. Any small issues, and there are issues with a group of 24 hunters,are taken care of realatively quickly. As I have said before in this forum, the hunt up there is different every year and this year was no exception. I've been on the front end, the tail end and in the middle with big racks, no racks and everything in between. I feel bad for the guys who had the early hunts. Last year the guys with the late hunts were in the same boat. I'm going to try to post a pic. Last night I couldn't get it to download. Here goes. I got this guy about 3:15 in the afternoon on a dead run across a lake at 125 yards. Missed with the first shot, led him better the second time.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:38 PM

Good looking bull. Where did you get it at in relationship to the Mirage? I need to go back up there....I went late last year we got animals but nothing like that or the others pictured.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need to go back up there....I went late last year we got animals but nothing like that or the others pictured.
Big ones are where you find them. You reall can't point out any spot as good up there. When the herds are in they are everywhere. You just need to be patient and look at lots before you shoot. Those 2 pictures of bulls are some of the better ones I've seen up there but I have also seen better again. My last time up there was a guy from Ohio who nailed the biggest one anybody had ever seen up there, it was amazing. It had beams as thick as elk and the rack was awsome.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Fork Horn

Terry is right. The big ones are where you find them. This was an exceptional year because the rut was late and many more of the bigger bulls kept their antlers longer. I hunted this year about two miles east of Donat's and about a milenorth of the roadbut there were a lot of animals everywhere when we were there. The animals didn't cross the Transtaiga road until about Nov 28. Then the tops ofthe ridges looked like a giant caterpiller.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.