Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 05-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

one of the guides up there told me the story of a guy with a new deisel truck that had to get the thing towed in and it had nothing wrong with it but it had to sit in the garage to thaw out and it did start. anti gel would probably help and extra filters.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys! Looks like were gonna go for the marathon drive, get to km 381 about 2-3 in the afternoon, crash there and catch up on our sleep and still have plenty of time to get to camp the next day. We got rooms reserved for the night before we arrive at camp.

Can smell them bou filets over the fire already

Oh yeah, we found an old arctic cat for a bargain price and we're gettin her in tip top shape for the trip!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

not a bad idea.....Lets hope we have an overweight problem coming home with 8 big caribou
Old 06-01-2004, 05:22 PM

Hi Guys,

I have booked a trip up to Quebec this winter (Dec 2-6), and have read all of the responses at this forum and I had to join in. I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to get a mountable caribou at this time? (I thought most of the males lose their antlers in mid to late Dec, so we'd be good?)
2. Has anyone heard of Northern Caribou Adventures?

Thanks....I look forward to your replies.....
Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Haven't heard of your outfitter but it looks like we're hunting at about the same time. Are they on the Trans Taiga Road? My group is hunting with Nouchimi outfitters Dec 4-6. We'll have to compare notes after the hunt.

By the way, welcome to the board!
Old 06-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

northern caribou adventures is the same outfitter i used. it is run by DONAT ASSELIN from quebec . the u.s. agent for booking is called northern caribou adventures. i think the head guys name is ron. it is nothing more than a couple old construction type trailers along the road side . no showers or hot water. i hunted with them 2 years in a row and would never go back!. save your money and go to the outfitter down the road. they are called the MIRAGE.it may take a year to get on the list for an opening but for a extra 100$ or so from what i remember you get showers and hot meals fit for a king everyday. if you hunt with the outfit i did they will cram you and your buddies in with other hunters who will probably be heavy drinkers and smokers and keep you up all night and you will have to worry about keeping an eye on your gear. if the power companies up in that area ever make a completed road up to the fall hunting grounds i think the government could make all the money and then you wouldnt have to rely on the caribou migrating to the winter grounds. as far as there being trophy animals the first week of december you should have oppurtunity. the problem is if you've never seen a caribou you may be tempted to shoot the first thing you see. since you are allowed 2 animals i say shoot your first one for the meat and then go for a nice one. pick a good crossing area and then get back off the road and wait. you could set up a nice ambush point and use a portable heater to set up a nice blind amongst the snow and rocks. you can rent snowmobiles from the MIRAGE or many will have them in your area and will give you a hand if you ask most times. your outfitter will have sleds more than likely so just ask if they can haul your animal out to the truck.yes it will be very cold BE PREPARED!
Old 06-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

I've been reading your messages about Caribou hunting. I'll be hunting at Mirage Nov. 30 - Dec. 3. This will be my 5th time hunting up there, 4th at Mirage. They are the best up there. They have always treated us well.The food is great and the accomodations are excellent. I have a friend who hunted with Kiskimaastakin Camp last year. He said it was a good experience. They have only been open for hunting for a couple of years. I think they were only a fishing camp untill now. I've shot two decent bulls each time up there. I have a Chevy diesel that has made the trip twice without a problem. You'll want dry-gas or diesel fuel conditioner with anti-gel. The fuel storage tanks north of Matagami are above ground and subject to condensation. Hoope you have a good experience.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:08 AM

Hope the caribou are in the woods cos I really want to get some bow harvests on film. I'm already packed ready to go!

Thanks to everyone (Otis especially), for all of the info shared on this thread. Hopefully, I'll be able to share some footage with all of you upon our return.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Film Guy, This is formerly OTIS replying. I had to change my internet provider and ended up switching name also. As already stated, this area is actually quite wooded with in some cases quite dense spruce. The trees are not very tall maybe 20 ft high so tree stand are not practical. You just find yourself an active trail/crossing along the road and then move in on them and setup an ambush. I had hundreds come by me at around 30 yds one morning. Could have taken them with archery gear no problem. Bring snow camo but also a blaze orange vest as its the law up there. Bring snow shoes, a tobaggon large enough to drag a caribou out on and you will have a blast!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.