Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-22-2005, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hi Guys we are going up to Asslins Dec 2 how does it look for the herd being in the area then. Contacted them the other day they do have outside outlets to plug in the block heaters on the trucks. Camper Len
Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Len -

The herd is beginning to move south and are still around Lac Claire. The predictionisin the next week to begin moving down to the taiga road and by the 05 DEC 05 - the herd looks to be in mass around the Larforge 1 area. It is still warm up there - 28F yesterday and 18F today. It takes them longer to move over soft water and this will make for good hunting I think for the 1st 2 weeks of Dec.I think you will be in the massfor hte 2nd - pick your bull!

Best of luck to you and your group andhave a great holiday!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info looking at the maps seems like you are right with any luck we should be right in the middle of them or close enough to go find them I hope so this is our first time Bou hunting we hunt deer all over but this will different and to see the large herds I read about and have seen on the hunting vidieos would be something. Of course dropping a couple all the better be there a week from today the truck is loaded and we are set to go. I will let you know how we make out my son has a digital camera i will try to get him to post some picturesthanks again Len
Old 11-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Last year at this time the main migration was hot and heavy, even a little earlier. It was winding down when we got there on nov. 30. This year it looks as though we will hit the lead end if I am reading the movement right. If it stays cold they will move south realatively fast, about 25-30 miles a day. In the five years I have hunted up there it has never been the same twice. Mother Nature is in charge. That's why they call it hunting. Good luck to all and post pictures when you get back.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Spike

Recieved a call from Mirage yesterday they said the herd was twenty miles north from Larfore 1 and about thirty five miles northfrom the Mirage.
We are leaving for theMirage tomorrow, good luck to everyone who is heading up.We will chat when we get back....
Old 11-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Come on guys I want to see some pics and stories.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good news everybody,

I have a buddy on his way home now and they all got thier caribou. I don't have all the details as I only spoke to his wife but they will be home Sunday and I will give you an update. Looks like theyt are starting to come in.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:56 PM

I've been reading this thread for a long time in anticipation of our first caribou hunt ever with Donat Asselin. Our hunt was Nov. 17 to 20. Only three caribou were killed (other than the guys that chartered helicopters). I guess they were just a few by themselves way ahead of the heard. We did eat dinner at the Mirage one night and I was disgusted with some of the stories I heard from guys that had chartered the helicopters to get to the heard. The guys were saying that their guides, upon landing in the middle of the heard, told them to shoot their bulls no matter what the circumstances. The guides told them not to worry about other animals behind their targets. They told them if the bullet went through the animal and killed another one, don't worry about it, the wolves will clean it up. The guides also said that if you wound one and it goes out of sight, just let it go and shoot another one, no tracking wounded game. I was envious of the huge bulls they brought back, but I'd rather just wait for the heards to show. I will say that we enjoyed Donat's place very much. Everyone was very courteous and the guides, Jack and John were very hospitable. They were sleeping in their trucks after the first hunt so people could stay over and have a warm place to sleepand wait for the heards - after their hunt was supposed to have ended! Quite frankly, I didn't like the atmosphere at the Mirage - was more like a high end resort than a hunting camp! I already rebooked for Donat's place and can't wait to give it another shot. Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread over the last year or so, it was helpful in planning our trip up there. My dad is up there right now. He should have got their today, so I hope the heards get there for him.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spoke to my buddy today who just got back from Nouchimi and they all limited out except for two guys who got discouraged and left a day early. They were on the last day of the hunt and just happened to see the direction the helicopters were landing and then just drove in the same direction as close as posssible and caught some coming across a lake. So they are just hitting the road now so anybody on thier way up there now is in for some good bulls and action. Have fun.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I just registered here. Looks like a great place. I live in Northeastern Ontario, in James Bay.

There are 3 outfitters in the zone of 22B for non-residents.
Mirage
Donat Asselin
Kiskimaastakin

Nouchimi Camp is 50 miles from where you can hunt, one way. That's 100 miles round trip before you can hunt. They are not in the zone.

Before I go on, I will tell you this. I've been going up there for the last 15 years.

The Mirage...Their prices are higher, their accomodations are better but not worth the extra money. You don't have to stay there to eat at their buffet. And yes they were charged last year along with some of their hunters for hunting out of the zone. And their choppers were grounded. Their attitude towards their hunters and the animals, in my opinion, leaves a whole lot to be desired.Their price does not include license or taxes.

Donat Asselin...Not quite as fancy but the price is very reasonable. Generally they are friendly and helpful and try to accomodate your requests. Their price includes license and all taxes.

Kiskimaastakin...This place is fairly new, reasonably priced, but American Plan only. Generally they are friendly and helpful also. Their prices do not include license or taxes.

Nouchimi...This place is reasonably priced but they are 50 miles out of the zone, one way. At the price of gasoline, you might as well stay at one of the other 3. You'll save money in the end and not have to leave 2 hours early just to get where you can hunt or have a 2 hour drive at the end of the day after your hunt is over. Just to find the restaurant closed and your American Plan down the drain. In all fairness they do have European Plan as well and outpost camps in the hunt zone, which are strictly European. Cold, drafty, driveway not plowed among other numerous disadvantages. They never answer the phone or emails or help in any way. This place is more for residents of Quebec who don't want to camp on the road.

In all this, I am referring to winter hunts from Nov. 15 to Feb. 15. None of the camps bothered to call last year, any of their hunters to tell them that by early December, the caribou were way south of where you could hunt. And in 2003 the caribou were also way south. And since you guys all pay in advance, I would very much recommend checking the migration maps with the thread that has been posted in here many times already. It won't get you your money back but it will save you a long drive for nothing.

As a general rule, by the middle of November, the herds have moved into the hunting zone. In 2003 and 2004 they had moved in and out, way south. And much to my disapointment this year 2005, they are way North of the zone. So I would look at the maps if you are going up. Might save you the long drive. I just got back yesterday and the caribou are not there. No matter what your outfitter's telling you. But I knew that before I went. Was just hoping! I will be going back later next month if they move into the zone. If you want to go on an 80 mile snowmobile ride or chance the fly-in, they are there. But not in your zone. And believe me, the Quebec jail is Not where you want to be.

Also as a general rule, by the middle of Decembermost of thebulls have shed their antlers. But if you hold out and look around, and the caribou are there, there are literally thousands that still have good racks. Just don't shoot the first ones you see. I hope all of you have a good hunt. I tried to put as much information in here as I could. Just one more reminder...check the migration maps. They don't lie. I would post some pictures of my bear, moose and caribou hunts, but being new I'm not sure how yet.

Y'all have a good day, eh?

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.