Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hi guys I'm going to be at Don A's dec 2 to the 5th don't shoot them all before we get there thanks for all the great information this is our first trip bou hunting it has really helped us to know what to expect Len
Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 PM

Thanks (gotahuntch,Nord QC Bouman, BTBowhunter, spike00, liqidorange) and all the rest
who answered my questions. They give me a little more idea of what I may expect.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Rpllip -

Nice arial on the tioga road.

Snow machines really push them out - so if you are going to use one, stay on a developed trac and then shut them off and sit where you see some sign.Like an migratory animal, they use the same trails they have been using for ever. The Fern River Heard follows the water right down the Laforge Road and crosses tioga in and around east of the Polaris Bridge - by Mirage. If the snow is deep they liketo use the road andif the water is hardthis will be the trail.

You can gettoCamp Kiskimaatakin up the Laforge road - it is around 40 miles (give or take).The road above the dam is bad when the weather is bad - just take your time. The bou come right down through this camp, thenfan out south each sideofthe Laforge Road. The camp is placed right in the migration and this has pushed themout as they are hunted fairly hard when they hit up top. You cannot go futher than the camp and you can park there and machine in as the road continues but is not maintained.

Good places to hunt - 25 klicks up the Laforge Road on the right and above the dam. Along the Tioga Road just past Polaris Lake you can see blue ribbons on the brush where indians mark the runs - go down some of these also. I have also gotten bou right accross the roard from the lodge up the power lines and also in back accross the lake in the hills. Since you are going earlyyou will need to go up top. Ask the guys at the Lodge and they will tell you howthe run is. They also have a pilot that does observation flight 2 times a day looking for the heard. If you get there early you can talk to him - they have a meeting after dinner each night to discuss.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 PM

Nord QC Bouman

Thanks for the great info. If the caribou are scarce, is there any benefit to running east and then north, towards the next dam(is that Laforge-2?). Looks like you would end up about as far north as the top of the Laforge-1 road in maybe 80-90 mile run.

Thanks Again

Randy
Old 11-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

We hunted at the end of the road past La 1 in 2000.Kiskimaastikanwas not a hunting camp at that time. Nov. 30 was when the heard first came inacross the reservoir. The migration was late that year and hunters were leaving the day before without anything.It is about 90 miles from the Trans Tagia Road, two track past Kiskimaastikan. You can drive right to the end if there is not too much snow. There is a small area at the end where you can park and turn around. We drove out thereone day and they were going accross the lake on snowmobiles about two lakes over and coming back with caribou. We asked the Indian who was there how many caribou were out there and when they would be at the location where we were now. He calmly said thousands of animals and they will be right here tomorrow morning. I was skeptical but we left camp at about 3 AM and got there just as it was getting light. There were groups of animals all over that lake as far as you could see.It was really quite a sight. Good luck to all whenever you ar going.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

If you mean east on taiga road - there are bou some ways out - this run goes to 550 KM I think. I would go to the Camp above the dam this early, it only 40 miles aboev the dam and along here you should see some crossings. Snow maybe an issue in the early season and road above the dam can get bad.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Fork Horn

I mean north beyond the dam. The only time we have hunted beyond the LA1 dam was in 2000.Past the camp the road is pretty much two track to the end but drivable if there isn't too much snow. We hunted east on the Taiga Road at about k510 to 515 in 2002.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:18 AM

We are headed north from PA. First day of hunt is Nov. 17. The caribou seem to be much farther north on the maps. How accurate are they. Only a few females are tracked out of 500,000 caribou??

We are staying at Donate As.... Anyone have any waypoints I canadd, including the waypoint for this camp?

If the bou are farther north, are there any roads that head farther north off of the Trans Taiga road?

This is our first trip.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

cps----We are also driving up from PA----Pittsburgh to be exact. Our hunt is 11/20--also at Donat. What are budgeting for driving time to the Donat? Our 1st time also. CB

I just checked the map----They are in unit 22 & moving south !!! I'm getting pumped about this !! The road now shows up. I was comparing last weeks & this weeks to see how far they have moved. I'm just guessing but in about 2 weeks they should be right there----if they move as move as this last week.What's your opinion?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:51 AM

WE ARE LEAVING FROM LEWISBURG, PA. NOT SURE ON THE TIME, SO WE ARE LEAVING EARLY MONDAY MORNING 11/14. STAYING AT MATAGAMI, THEN RADDISON. WILL STAY ANOTHER NIGHT AT RADDISON.......UNLESS WE HAVE CAR TROUBLE.

HOW FAR FROM RADDISON TO CAMP?

THE BOU SEEM TO BE COMING SOUTH, I HOPE THEY ARE FAR ENOUGH SOUTH FOR THE BEGINING OF OUR HUNT ON 11/17. I GUESS WE'LL SEE.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.