Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-27-2005, 06:30 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Our group is heading up to Mirage Outfitters for our hunt starting Nov. 23rd. This is our first time going there. I've read this thread over the past couple of weeks as time allowed and most of my questions have been answered but some thingsI'm still a little unsure of. I also understand that none of the following questions can be answered with 100% accuracy and mother nature can decide how to answer these to any extreme. I'm just trying to get as good of a feel for what to expect as possible.
Should we expect snow in any significant amountthat week?
The temps people are talking about, is that (-20C to -30C) or (-20F to -30F)?Are those temps common up there at that time?
Should we take rain gear?
I know this time of year the big bulls are losing or have lost their antlers butis there still a chance for some nice racks ? I've heard that when the bulls are in rut the meat is useless. Is this true this time of year? I would like to get some good meat so should I try for a cowas one of my choices if it comes to be?

Till the lights grow dim and the trail fades away,
Stringbender
Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Fork Horn

We will be hunting out of Mirage Nov. 30-Dec. 3. This will be my sixth time in as many years and we always go at this time. All I can tell you is my experience and that ithas been different every year. The temps usually range at that time fromabout-5F at nightto mid teens during the day although last year was significantly colder. As you say , Mother Nature is pretty much in charge. I have never needed rain gear. It snows a little every day but we have not encountered any major storms so far. You can expect from knee deep to waist deep in the woods.There is still opportunity for decent racks if you are patient. I have never noticed a significant difference in the meat from any of the animals that I have taken. That may be different during the early rutbut I don't know for sure. If you don't see any good racks and are running out of time the bald bulls are significantly larger than a cow if you want meat, but I have seen some cowswith unique looking antlers. I hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Was at Nouchimi Dec 2-5 last year and we had-15f to +6f during the days. Snow was about waidt deep and it snowed a little each day.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

We had a guy some years ago shot a large female and the meat was no good - he had to throw it out after processing. An indian I was talking to near the Larforge Road told be when the animals get old the meat is not good. They tend to get a real white looking coat and face when they are old. I shot a300 and 375 bulls last year and the meat on te 300 seems a little nicer - but bou is just plain the best meat to eat.

Most of the younger/older animalshave lost racks byendof November.We do see alotof larger fit bulls with huge racks into Dec. You see them out on the lakes and the big bulls are out front. Ifthe heard is good migration wise you can pick a nice rack. Indians sayto shoot the dark colored bulls, oryoung cows.

You need to cut the racks offif you want to bringinto the US. Cut the skull capand cleanit good - the boarder looks for soft tissue/spine matter.

Good Luck.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:36 AM

I am heading to Donat Asselin's camp for the first time Nov. 20th, looks like we may be early. I also have had most of my questions answered in this years and last years thread. I am curious to know if anyone has any experience in snowmobiling very far into the bush in years when the caribou have not made it to the areas of the camps? I have a Skidoo Skandic with a snow winch, emergency floatation and survival gear pulling a plastic tub style sled with an A frame tounge and hitch. My concern is that, knowing we will not be able to use the lakes, can you really make it very far in search of animals? I expect we would be looking at starting out up the Laforge 1 road above the dam and possibly trying to hook up with the skidoo winter trail 6 miles to the west. We will have multiple gps's with us including moving map with the Laforge 1 map installed. Also if anyone could give me any insight on the amount of time required to get from the Trans Tiaga to the dam or Camp Kiskimaatakin, that would be helpfull.

I found a great source for local maps at www.jlcgeo.com or 866-301-2212
Ask for Jean-Luc and ask him for the Laforge-1 map for the area around the dam or the map directly below for the area from Mirage east. He also has digital copies available that can be downloaded into some mapping software and gps units

I also created my own map from goggle earth that starts out just south and east of Mirage and goes 75 miles west and 55 miles north. You can download it from the following link if you are interested
http://www2.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t=OeK6Cw33wWoStvrweKBal387
and have it printed(approx 3' x 4')at a local printer for personal use.
It's a big file and may require more memory than some personal computers or software are designed to handle.

Good Hunting!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

rpllib----That's the same time I'm at Donat Asselin.Hope to see you there. CB
Old 10-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado Bob,

Are you driving up there from Colorado ? Wow ! By the way I have friends who have used Asselin in the past and will there this year also. Enjoy your trip.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:36 PM

Colorado Bob

I will be the guy in the moroon F150 with the maps, computers,and gps(and I think I can find mygrandpa's 30-06) with askandic on the trailer. I greatly appreciate all the input from you and others who have taken the time to educate us newbies.

I realized after posting my previous post that I incorrectly indicated that my goggle earth map started out se of Mirage and went west, when in reality it starts out sw of Mirage and goes east. Its kinda cool for us map guys, if you get a chance check it out. (You would think a map guy would know the difference)

Good Hunting

Randy
Old 10-29-2005, 05:39 AM
Spike

I also shot a big bou two years ago the meat was so strong I had to trash it..... the second caribou was great. that is the only bad / strong caribou I have shot.... one out of eleven, not bad !!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Terry-----I'm flying to Pittsburgh & then drive from there with several buddies.

rpllib---We will be in a blueChevy Silverado with the PA plates.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.