Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Have you heard of a requirement for Passports comming back in after Nov 2005? I have heard this from a few people now - I come in NorthGate VT from QC.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Passports are going to be required to enter the US. This will also be a requirement for US citizens.I think beginning sometime in 2006. Each time I read about it sounds like the rules are still changing so just keep your eyes open and sooner or later someone might know the final details.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:12 PM

Hoping you all can help me out. We are going to Northern Caribou Adventures hunt Nov.16-19. Will this be too early? Also, I was planning on taking 30-06 and my bow. Also maybe a shotgun to hunt ptarmigan. Is it worth dragging a shotgun? I figured if we have some luck, we would have our Caribou in 2-3 days, and would then hunt ptarmigans. Anyone know what they taste like??? LIKE CHICKEN?!?!? Everything tastes like chicken. Also, how much gas can you take accross the boarder?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Everything does taste like chicken. Of course I guess it depends on how you season it.If you're a bird hunter it's worth taking a shotgun along. You can take as much gas as you can get away with. They only asked us about it once about five years ago. We had over 30 gallons and the duty made it not worth the effort. If you have ten gallons for backup it should be plenty.Since then the only thing they checked was our firearms and that was only once. If you've been through before and show up in the computer without any glitches chances are you'll go through customs, pay your firearms fee and move on. It makes a difference where you cross the border too. We cross at Soult Ste. Marie Mi. Good luck at Northern Caribou,not a top operation. We used them in 2000, been going to Mirage ever since.For a little more money you get a lot more value.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

Question about the map showing the caribou location. Where is the zone that is to be hunted? Is that horizonal line the raod that the camps are located?

Old 09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

The hunting zone (22 B) is quite a bit south of where the caribou are now. Outfitters are located along the Transtaiga Road which runs east from the James Bay Road.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

Question about the map showing the caribou location. Where is the zone that is to be hunted? Is that horizonal line the raod that the camps are located?
The Maps are difficult to interpret until you have been up there. I kept asking TerryM to interpret them for me last year. The camps are all along the Trans Tioga Highway which is further south than what appears on the Satelite Maps now. FYI the Bou are about where they were last year at this time. I just just got an invite to join some guys that I met up there last year at the Nouchimi outpost . So, back to the great white north for more Bou on the 15th of November.....yippee.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Spike

We were at the mirage last year the herd was not there. dec 3rd.
looking for a better trip this year we are going up on Nov 27
Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

We also hunt Mirage 04-06 DEC. Last year was tough - I have to hike 1 mile in to get my 2. Quite a drag....

I see the migration is still very North and hte temp up top is 40+F - last year it was ~ 30F which started the migration sooner. We are keeping the 1st hunt of Winter this time but might change next year depending on results.

South of the lodge is best if the herd has moved through - they hang for a while just past the hills to the south - you will need a sled.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Spike

This is our seventh year going to the Mirage, We rent snowmobiles from Paul, not a bad deal, you can see some nice country and bring your bou back with no effort,
Last year was a very tough year for us also, we baged nine out of a possible twelve, It was not for a lack of trying, just few and far between
you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.