Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

you can go on a caribou hunt ,whithout a rifle ..use a camera !!! no hassel there BOB ..
Old 08-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you know there will be a hassle a the border with them thinking I'm trying to stiff them on the $50 fee?
I don't think it would be an issue. If anything it will make your life simpler to not have to go through the border / firearms bull. Have you thought about bringing a bow ? Its what I'm bringing next time up there.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

I do like to keep it simple. I went over to South Africa in 02----I left my rifle here in the states & used the outfitter's 30/06. Mucher easier going thru customs both ways.

With gas going crazy now----what's it like up there, now. Another question is it better the exchange money at my hometown bank or take American with me & play the exchange game at every gas station? I was thinking of taking about $600 or 700 Canadian for gas, food & motel. CB
Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado Bob,
Right now gas in Montreal is selling anywhere from $1.10-1.20 per litre so you need to convert that to US gallons and US currency. For example it costs me @70 bucks Canadian to fill my SUV. Gas up in caribou country will be more expensive and there are few places to buy it, you need to haul lots in 5 gallon cans. As far as cash for the trip it all depends on how you split expenses like gas and hotels mostly. If travelling 2 per truck then it sounds fine. But realize that everywhere you go you can use credit cards also.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Hi CO Bob,

I have a gun license here in Quebec (PAL) and my guns in the US are in the process of getting registered here in Canada. I'm an American citizen and NH resident. I can loan my rifle to my hunting partner in Quebec and as long as we are with each other, there is no issue with him using the gun. I would think the same rule would apply for your situation where your buddy is making a firearms declaration at the border.

BTW, the laws have changed... you would only be cheating them out of $ 25; not $ 50. I would advise you to check out the Canadian Firearms Center www.cfc.gc.ca and just make sure you have a clear interpretation of the law. I have heard stories of people having their firearms confiscated while in the field hunting.

Good luck
Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Counting down the days. I've watching the herd via the tracking site on the web. Looks pretty much like last year. Hope the cold weather come in on time this year. CB
Old 09-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

I talked to the folks at mirage last week. They said that the early hunt is going very well. The bulls should be just about out of velvet by now. Last year they moved through a little early for us. It's been a little different each time I've been up there. You can't control Mother Nature. It is what it is.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt try to sneak or stiff any gun permits in this day and age unless you love prison. i think its 50$ canadian which is 30$ u.s. dollars. if your paying a bunch for gas whats a few extra to be legal. if you want to save time you can go to a local customs office and fill out the forms and register your guns so you dont have to fill them out at the border. it will save a little time and they will love you for doing that ahead of time. you will need your serial numbers of both the rifle and scope.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

got a hunch - when did you guys go last year - we were there for the 1 leg of the second hunt and the animals were scarce. The migration looks further north now than it did Sept last year.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

We go the same time every year. Nov. 30-Dec. 3. Like I said, in five years it's been a little different each time. One year there were guys leaving the day we got there who got skunked. Within two days there were animals all over the place. We've huntedas closea milefrom camp and as far away as 125 miles. That's why they call it hunting. Mother Nature does her thing and we deal with it as best we can.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.