Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-25-2004, 05:00 AM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Terry -

Gotta love you....thank you for the re-assurance. I getting very excited, and I am confident that you won't have to mail a roast and a rack.......I'll let you know how we do.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:10 AM

This really stinks, had a hunt booked for bou in Labrador. The outfitter cancled on us the last minute 11/15-17 due to lack of animals (nice of them I thought) rebooked for two weeks later 11/29-dec.1 and the reports say the bou are all over the place and they say its a hard hunt from the road and want us to cancel. I told them we were willing to walk to the herds which they say they can seen but out of range from the road. They also say there is not enough snow to use snowmobiles. I have heard stories of the caribou not being there one day and the next they are so I offered to stay extra days at our expense and they said they can't because they have more hunters later in the week. Why are the still taking people a day after our hunt is canceled? When I said we would take the chance and tough it out and let destiny take its course the outfitter now said guides vehicles were being damaged and its to rough! But when I booked 6 monthes ago they stated guides don't use there vehicles, the hunters do? What the *&%$ gives here? Please anybody with a explanation please respond to this string. If anybody at all knows of another outfitter in either Quebec or Labrador due to canclations or of guys tagging out and leaving early please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Don't know about Labrador. Have only hunted Quebec. Used two different outfitters. Donat one time (never again) and Mirage (this will be our fourth time there). Mirage is hard to get into but well worth it. We have had good experiences with Mirage. The only bad experiences we had were not in control of the outfitter. Hope things work out for you. Hunting caribou is a great time. Plenty of animals and a reasonably priced hunt. Seeing the migration is a big part or the trip. I had as much fun with the cameras as I did hunting. Good luck and I hope you can work out your hunt. (I would call Mirage on the outside chance they may have a last minute cancellation.)
Old 11-25-2004, 11:20 AM

Just got off the phone with Mirage and they are booked with zero possibility of getting us in for a winter hunt (was worth a try)
Old 11-25-2004, 02:18 PM

As you know my partner had a stroke and we were supposed to be hunting next week. Just got off the phone with Mirage said they will hold our spot until next year pending a docs note.

Looks like we'll get to filming/hunting these bou after all!

They are a first class act.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:27 PM

Filmguy, does this mean there are two spots open at Mirage?
Old 11-26-2004, 07:27 AM

hedhuntr, I have hunted donat in 2003 and had a great time. They give you just what they say. A place to sleep and a place to fix your food. It dosn't matter where you stay either the mirage or at donat you are hunting the same herds. Our group is going back in 2005 and can''t wait. So if you really want to hunt this year I would give donat a try.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:01 AM

Hed, I just replied to you PM.

I know that they filled our spots cos they called me to let us know. So, I don't know if they have any more.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:03 AM

If anyone booked the same time next year - would be intersted in fliming your hunt or taking some photos. I believe we will be in the same time; last week of Novmber to the first week of December.

Let me know or pm me.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

although it may be there wintering grounds if they arrive in good numbers very early as in one of the years i went they actually got to the road and then shifted back a ways. still huntable but a bit scattered. i never saw a group of animals more than 10 and mostly more like 5 or 6. they seemed to be heading north and east . that year i was hunting december 15 and saw only one good bull in 4 days. it gets harder as the weeks go on to get a good bull.i went for the meat and had a great time. if you have too high expectations it never seems to work out so go and have a great time and dont put pressure on yourself to get a monster. you will always have a reason to keep going back

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.