Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-15-2004, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Met with our group to finalize details of our trip and a new question came up.

Do we need a hunter-ed card to get our licenses?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have one bring it but have never been asked (by nouchimi anyway). One guy I know didn't even have a card that was his first hunt ever. I would bring an old license as proof if you don't have one. You never know things could have changed since I was up there.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:12 AM

Seems like they are moving according to schedule. How many animals does each sample represent on the map? The way I figure that first cluster north of the road between the cities of radisson and fontanges is only about 100-125 kilometers from the mirage. What is there ultimate destination? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:40 AM

I may have the opportunity to go on a winter Caribou hunt in 2005. At first I was skeptical, but after reading posts I am definatly in. I have some limited hunting experience in northern NH but have yet to take a deer, thus I have never dressed a large animal, have seen it done years ago. Do you think this would be a major problem for me? I know it sounds stupid but I don't want to drive 2000 miles and look like a dope. Thanks Erik
Old 11-15-2004, 05:44 PM

SHOT AN 8-POINTER THAT SCORED 162-5/8" GREEN!!! I AM PUMPED JUST TOOK IT TO TAXIDERMIST AND HAD IT SCORED AND WAS TALKING TO HIM ABOUT THE CARIBOU HUNT.

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT TAKING UP AN MUZZLELOADER....WILL A .45 CALIBER WORK OR IS IT TOO SMALL? WHAT ARE THE RULES?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP........LOOKING FORWARD TO SOME GOOD STORIES BEFORE WE LEAVE ON NOV 29TH.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ecroto,
Gotta start somewhere! Everybody looks like a goof the first time they gut a big game animal, I wouldn't let that stop me. Go for it.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think a .45 ML would do fine. Not sure about the regs regarding black powder up there. I would bring it and if it turns out they are not legal (If .50 is minimum) they don't take much room in a vehicle. BUT, remember you could see the best animal of your hunt walking away from you at 300 yds! Just something to think about
Old 11-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just checked the satellite map boys. It looks good. They are already around the road now. They should be pretty thick by the time you get there. You first timers are in for a treat. Bring lots of film and video cameras!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been checking the weather up there and so far it looks downright mild!

The closest towns I have been able to get weather reports on have been Eastmain and Amos but they're reporting temps hovering right above/below freezing. I just hope we dont get into the freezing rain.

We leave in 17 days. A lot can change by then!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTW cant thank ALL you guys enough!!! If any of you decide to come to Illinois to chase our bruiser whitetails, I'll do my best to return the favor!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.