Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
The MNRF finally posted the notice:

http://www.mddefp.gouv.qc.ca/communi...26-caribou.htm

Looks like they had a major update to the site and also a new Minster - hopefully new Minister=bettter policies with Caribou hunting in James Bay.
Do I understand this right?
2013-2014 1722 tags for two Caribou.
2014-2015 3053 tags for one Caribou.

ATB
Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Spike

Default hunting

Originally Posted by WESTFORD HUNTER
Congrat's on your moose hunt! We hunted Snowshoe Lake last year and had a blast.We are doing our cheap moose hunt 10/5 in Quebec hope for a little luck Def. isn't Newfounland. Then Caribou here we come!!!
westford-good luck on your moose hunt, and good luck on the bou hunt also, I would like to be going bou hunting, but would like to see them go back to the nov hunts, let us know how the hunts go!!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the moose - what were the total costs for this hunt? We were talking about a moose hunt in the fall and this sounds like a great time.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

Yup - This just goes to show you conservation seems to be less on the agenda than politics.

So being "concerned" about the outfitters business, the MNRF just doubles the # of tags available to off set the impact of a 1 animal limit coupled with a 50% reduction in the season. You could offer 10K tags and I do not think the outfitters could make up this loss in business. I would expect a large reduction in business with the new constraint on 1 tag limit. Hopefully we will see a change during the 2014 survey - I know lodges are active in pushing for a normal season.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:08 AM
Spike

We just returned from Quebec and success was on our side got a fat cow moose for the freezer(dry no calf ). Hope the caribou cooperate the same.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
Yup - This just goes to show you conservation seems to be less on the agenda than politics.

So being "concerned" about the outfitters business, the MNRF just doubles the # of tags available to off set the impact of a 1 animal limit coupled with a 50% reduction in the season. You could offer 10K tags and I do not think the outfitters could make up this loss in business. I would expect a large reduction in business with the new constraint on 1 tag limit. Hopefully we will see a change during the 2014 survey - I know lodges are active in pushing for a normal season.
I'd love to make another trip up there. Hopefully things will return to normal.

ATB
Old 10-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WESTFORD HUNTER
We just returned from Quebec and success was on our side got a fat cow moose for the freezer(dry no calf ). Hope the caribou cooperate the same.
Congratulations!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 AM
Spike

Default Getting closer!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Spike

Hey Guys,
I will be up at Kiskim on the first day this year and I was wondering what I can expect for weather?? What should I take for snow gear. I hunt upstate NY so I was wondering if my gear would be ok. I just hope that there still a few good ones that didn't loose their horns. Is there usually a lot of hiking involved or do you mostly sit and wait?
Thanks, Dean
Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

The last cuple of yrs it has been warmer than nornmal - maybe 0-15F most days so I think a little colder than what we see around here. I recommend beiong prepared (wool) as it can get real old and the forcast is for cold and snow - still a ways out but it can be -20-30F and windy.

The hunt depends on the Bou - if they are away from the road as they migrate which is normal, you will haev to get into the woods and ponds to find a run and wait for them. Snow machines will push tem out so it you srive around looking you usually will not see much, or less than you would by getting into the bush and waiting for groups to come through. It kind of becomes a "they are all over the place" to " where the Heck at the animals". The key if to talk to the folks at teh lodge - in past years we could talk with hunter comming out but now we are it. Make sure you bring a game sled if you are not renting a snow machine.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.