Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like the Antler only rule is being lifted for the Winter Hunt 2013/2014.

Back to normal for this - still the season reduction and limited tags so sign up early.

We will be in Mirage also for the opener - See you guys from NY there!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Spike

Default bou hunt 2013

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
Looks like the Antler only rule is being lifted for the Winter Hunt 2013/2014.

Back to normal for this - still the season reduction and limited tags so sign up early.

We will be in Mirage also for the opener - See you guys from NY there!
bouman-did they change the hunt dates also!! or same as last year, if not will they go back to nov hunt dates for 2014 season,
you all have a great time this year also, goodluck,
SO LETS GO BOU HUNTING!!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Not yet - I think this is one step at a time effort!

We are all hoping and especailly the outfitters - image loosing 1/3 of you sales opportunities and expecting still to function as a business - crazy.

I can tell you the outfitters have been working hard to get the rule back to normal so they are stay healthy and give us a place to hunt.

Summer months are too long for me....
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default bou hunt

Not yet - I think this is one step at a time effort!

We are all hoping and especailly the outfitters - image loosing 1/3 of you sales opportunities and expecting still to function as a business - crazy.

I can tell you the outfitters have been working hard to get the rule back to normal so they are stay healthy and give us a place to hunt.

Summer months are too long for me....

Bouman-thanks for info, sure hope they do go back soon!! and yes summer is longggggggggg SO LETS GO BOU HUNTING!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Here is the Press Release from the MNRF - they did not post on the main site for some reason - note the plan for 2014/2015 as a bag limit of 1 whihc has a big impact on the lodges ability to attract clients:

Migratory caribou herds in Northern Québec – The Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment, Wildlife and Parks announces measures governing hunting for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons
QUÉBEC CITY, April 26, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ – Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment, Wildlife and Parks, Yves-François Blanchet has announced the measures governing migratory caribou hunting that he intends to implement in Northern Québec for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons.
Biological data collected in 2012 indicate that the rivière George herd has continued to decrease and now appears to number roughly 25 000 animals, compared with 74 000 in 2010. This situation leads the Ministry to maintain the closure of sport hunting over the next two years in zones 23 east, 23 south and 24. These zones will remain closed to hunting as long as the biological data collected and indicators do not show that the herd is recovering.
Moreover, in light of new biological analyses, including those conducted in 2012, the rivière aux Feuilles herd appears to be fairly stable. “Because the stability is fairly recent, we must remain cautious. All involved stakeholders must apply vigilance” said the minister. Accordingly, as a precautionary measure, procedures governing hunting from the previous season will be modified in respect of the rivière aux Feuilles herd. The following measures will be in force for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 hunting seasons.
For Zones 22A, 22B and 23 West, to provide a transitional year, the provincial harvesting limit of two caribou per hunter will be maintained for the 2013-2014 season, and will then drop to one caribou her hunter, per year, starting in the 2014-2015 season.
Contrary to previous years, hunters and outfitters know as of now the hunting rules that will apply for the next two seasons.
In addition, in order to exercise strict control over caribou hunting and limit the harvest to current levels, the number of licences issued for sport hunting for the 2013-2014 will be reduced and allocated as follows:
Zone 22A:
  • 500 licences allocated by random draw with no obligation to use the services of an outfitter.
Zone 22B: Zone 23 West: For the 2014-2015 season, licences will be allocated as follows: Zone 22A:
  • 500 licences allocated by random draw, with no obligation to use the services of an outfitter.
Zone 22B:Zone 23 West:The following rules will be in force for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons: Zones 22A and 22B:
  • Hunting season will begin on December 1 and end on January 30.
Zone 23 West:
  • Hunting season will begin on August 17 and end on October 7;
  • Winter hunting season will be closed.
Zones 22A, 22B and 23 West:
  • All individuals (males, females, fawns) in the caribou population may be harvested.
In addition to these measures, the Cree, Inuit and Naskapi nations reiterate their commitment to monitor their harvesting and encourage communities to adopt objectives and management measures concerning such harvesting. This contribution is essential to the collection of overall information that ensures sound management of the herds in the coming years.
The elaboration of the migratory caribou management plans is continuing with the concerned partners, including the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador for the Rivière George herd.
The Ministry will pursue its research and monitoring of the migratory caribou herds in order to better understand the causes of their decline.
“We are all concerned about the situation of the two migratory caribou herds in Northern Québec and I am confident that the proposed measures will have a positive impact on the species. The caribou is an integral part of the culture of certain Aboriginal communities. It contributes to economic activity in the region and also symbolizes Québec’s wildlife heritage. For all of these reasons, all involved stakeholders, including the government, have the responsibility to ensure its long-term survival,” Minister Blanchet concluded.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Spike

Default bou hunt

Here is the Press Release from the MNRF - they did not post on the main site for some reason - note the plan for 2014/2015 as a bag limit of 1 whihc has a big impact on the lodges ability to attract clients:

Migratory caribou herds in Northern Québec – The Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment, Wildlife and Parks announces measures governing hunting for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons
QUÉBEC CITY, April 26, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ – Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment, Wildlife and Parks, Yves-François Blanchet has announced the measures governing migratory caribou hunting that he intends to implement in Northern Québec for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons.
Biological data collected in 2012 indicate that the rivière George herd has continued to decrease and now appears to number roughly 25 000 animals, compared with 74 000 in 2010. This situation leads the Ministry to maintain the closure of sport hunting over the next two years in zones 23 east, 23 south and 24. These zones will remain closed to hunting as long as the biological data collected and indicators do not show that the herd is recovering.
Moreover, in light of new biological analyses, including those conducted in 2012, the rivière aux Feuilles herd appears to be fairly stable. “Because the stability is fairly recent, we must remain cautious. All involved stakeholders must apply vigilance” said the minister. Accordingly, as a precautionary measure, procedures governing hunting from the previous season will be modified in respect of the rivière aux Feuilles herd. The following measures will be in force for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 hunting seasons.
For Zones 22A, 22B and 23 West, to provide a transitional year, the provincial harvesting limit of two caribou per hunter will be maintained for the 2013-2014 season, and will then drop to one caribou her hunter, per year, starting in the 2014-2015 season.
Contrary to previous years, hunters and outfitters know as of now the hunting rules that will apply for the next two seasons.
In addition, in order to exercise strict control over caribou hunting and limit the harvest to current levels, the number of licences issued for sport hunting for the 2013-2014 will be reduced and allocated as follows:

Zone 22A:
  • 500 licences allocated by random draw with no obligation to use the services of an outfitter.
Zone 22B: Zone 23 West: For the 2014-2015 season, licences will be allocated as follows: Zone 22A:
  • 500 licences allocated by random draw, with no obligation to use the services of an outfitter.
Zone 22B:Zone 23 West:The following rules will be in force for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons: Zones 22A and 22B:
  • Hunting season will begin on December 1 and end on January 30.
Zone 23 West:
  • Hunting season will begin on August 17 and end on October 7;
  • Winter hunting season will be closed.
Zones 22A, 22B and 23 West:
  • All individuals (males, females, fawns) in the caribou population may be harvested.
In addition to these measures, the Cree, Inuit and Naskapi nations reiterate their commitment to monitor their harvesting and encourage communities to adopt objectives and management measures concerning such harvesting. This contribution is essential to the collection of overall information that ensures sound management of the herds in the coming years.
The elaboration of the migratory caribou management plans is continuing with the concerned partners, including the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador for the Rivière George herd.
The Ministry will pursue its research and monitoring of the migratory caribou herds in order to better understand the causes of their decline.
“We are all concerned about the situation of the two migratory caribou herds in Northern Québec and I am confident that the proposed measures will have a positive impact on the species. The caribou is an integral part of the culture of certain Aboriginal communities. It contributes to economic activity in the region and also symbolizes Québec’s wildlife heritage. For all of these reasons, all involved stakeholders, including the government, have the responsibility to ensure its long-term survival,” Minister Blanchet concluded.

bouman-thanks for the info, guess I will not be going in 2014/2015 season not for just one!! bou , would like to know if you can email this to me or were can I find it, thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

The MNRF finally posted the notice:

http://www.mddefp.gouv.qc.ca/communi...26-caribou.htm

Looks like they had a major update to the site and also a new Minster - hopefully new Minister=bettter policies with Caribou hunting in James Bay.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Spike

The MNRF finally posted the notice:

http://www.mddefp.gouv.qc.ca/communi...26-caribou.htm

Looks like they had a major update to the site and also a new Minster - hopefully new Minister=bettter policies with Caribou hunting in James Bay.

HI all, you have a good bou hunt let us know how it all go, if and when they change back to nov hunt and 2 bou might think about going back, but this year will be leaving to moose hunt in newfoundland, with Portland creek outfitters leaving 9/11/13,good luck to you all, will let you know how the moose hunt go's
Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Spike

Default moose hunt

Originally Posted by huntcaribou
HI all, you have a good bou hunt let us know how it all go, if and when they change back to nov hunt and 2 bou might think about going back, but this year will be leaving to moose hunt in newfoundland, with Portland creek outfitters leaving 9/11/13,good luck to you all, will let you know how the moose hunt go's
HI ALL, back from the moose hunt, it went good got my moose!!!
as did my friend that went with me, he's at the taxidermist
Old 09-28-2013, 04:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntcaribou
HI ALL, back from the moose hunt, it went good got my moose!!!
as did my friend that went with me, he's at the taxidermist
Congrat's on your moose hunt! We hunted Snowshoe Lake last year and had a blast.We are doing our cheap moose hunt 10/5 in Quebec hope for a little luck Def. isn't Newfoundland. Then Caribou here we come!!!

Last edited by WESTFORD HUNTER; 11-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.