Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Just had to rebook my caribou trip in Labrador for the end of November, outfitter said the caribou won't be within our hunting area in time for 11/15-11/17 trip. Its nice to have an honest outfitter and to be able to re-schedule. Anyone else hunting in Labrador?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

Is anyone interested in a hunt at Mirage from Nov. 30-Dec. 3 ?? One of our party was just diagnosed with kidney cancer and can't go. His partner doesn't want to go with out him. I know it's short notice but he just found out the other day. If interested let me know ASAP and I'll get the info out to you.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:12 AM

Where is the Trans road at on the map? Nothing seems to have changed as far as I can tell.....just a lot a 'bou moving south...

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:57 PM

As I read the map, the road is the purple line on the botton of the page. We want the Bou to be moving south since that is where we will be. I sure hope they are there next week
Old 11-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

just remember that 100 miles isint far for the herd to travel but the year i went during thanksgiving they were much closer than that and didnt move much closer in 4 days because the rivers and reseviors didnt freeze over. i know they can certainly swim these lakes but for some reason that year they didnt want to. im sure every year is different but i would stay on top of the latest info. if it were me at current gas prices i would keep an eye on things. i dont think you have to panic but if its definatley not looking good for next week i would maybe try to move the dates but im sure things will work out. i got screwed once and i hope everyone scores a big bull without getting a line of BULL. you first week guys keep us informed when you get back. id love to go this year but im looking at next year maybe.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Caribou will certainly swim lakes and rivers but when they are partially frozen the animal will bunch up until solid ice forms. They seem to instinctively know when it is time to cross. It's been going on for a long time.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:52 AM

I just wanted to say that what you guys have put together is very appreciated by me, my brothers-in-law and father-in-law. I have been continually checking in throughout the last few months in preparation for our trip between dec 5th-10th. We will be staying at the Mirage. I would like to here from anyone else that will be there during that time. Once again, thank you for the wealth of information and happy hunting!!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tomcat, Ill be at Nouchimi from Dec 4-8
Good luck and make sure you post us with news of your success!!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:38 PM

As Tomcat hunter said, all of the advise you guys have given over the past months has been very helpful. Especially TerryM. I am off tonight for the great north. Will post when I get back. If you hear yells of joy coming from the north next week, you'll know I got my Bou.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Those of us who have been up there have had similar experiences but we all have different preferences. I will be at Mirage Nov. 30 for my fifth hunt in as many years. Each year things are a llttle different with the timing and where the animals seem to cross the Transtagia Rd. We've hunted from Mirage Lodge to as far as 130 miles east and north beyond the LaFarge dam another 50 miles. If the animals are not there one day they may be there by the thousands the next so be patient, there are many groups of caribou from a few to several hundred. All the advice has been good. Use common sense, be patient and you will see a lot of animals. Good luck and have safe hunt.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.