Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Migration is looking good based on the 29 OCT map - herd centering is lining up with LA1 and is about 300 KM out on average from the top of the lake. Seems they are moving slow - about 75-100 KM per week as the weather is not cold yet and nothing is frozen. Still some animal well behind and this could provide some good oppourtunites for several weeks after the start.

Never having been up top for opening day this should be a good hunt - animals usually get pushed around a little making the migration vary a west/east. Should a busy opener.

Any one @ Mirage for 01 DEC?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Spike

Default bou

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
Migration is looking good based on the 29 OCT map - herd centering is lining up with LA1 and is about 300 KM out on average from the top of the lake. Seems they are moving slow - about 75-100 KM per week as the weather is not cold yet and nothing is frozen. Still some animal well behind and this could provide some good oppourtunites for several weeks after the start.

Never having been up top for opening day this should be a good hunt - animals usually get pushed around a little making the migration vary a west/east. Should a busy opener.

Any one @ Mirage for 01 DEC?
bouman-do we still have to pay to see migration maps!! and have you heard if they will go back to nov opener next year. good luck this year
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Yes - the cost is $2 CAN per map - jsut go to the map site and on the page showing the last posted (Nov 2010) map there are instructions - translate the page and you can get there after some clicking and cussing.

2013 depends on the survey and decisions by the MRNF guys. There is muhc controvery in that group over the process - things like numbers and size of young, etc. Seems to me, and I have only limited imformation, the folks working on the ground have a much better sense of the heard size and carrying capabilities of the area. Example - most bio folks in the field were estimating the heard from 750K and up with stable birthing weights (reducing weights is a sign of poor heard longenvity) leading them to think the hunt would be maintained at 15 NOV - 15FEB without a restriction on anterless. What was reported after the survey was ~ 430K+ animals with lesser young and weights indicating a continued decline from 2009 and 2010. most thought we would have another stable hunting year then look at the survey on 2013 and decide after the birthing is complete.

So - it is really hard to say what the MRNF will do. They are craking down on locals (I mean the natives) on taking so many and going after the markets for parts that drives the poaching. A native fishcop @ K381 in 2009 told us that poaching was taking an adiditional 10% or more of the animals over what is being reported. Loss if game, licenses and all sorts of revenue from the lodges and supporting folks.

If the numbers come out larger in the 2013 survey and they keep the status quo - make you plans early as the 01 DEC hunt will be now the hardest to get into. Best thing to know is the lodges, like the folks at Mirage, are working with the MRNF to ensure the rule are fair and we can all keep bou hunting for many years. Lots of politics involved and thing can shift against us hunters in this environment - everyone out there should be doing all they can to remain ethical and protect the image of the sportsman in QC and elsewhere.

OK - off the podium - time to pack for Mirage!

Greets and I hope to see you guys up there next year!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Spike

I am booked into Mirage for the Dec.1st hunt, and watching the migration very closely.As of this week the caribou have moved to the north shore of Lac Bienville and our concern is that they go any further West they might end up in zone 22 before we get to see them.(which of course is out of bounds for us) There seems to be a few pods of them a little further back which also indicates to us that the timing might be right on time.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Spike

Our concern for the first hunt is should we be bringing Quads or snowmobiles. If someone can update us on the snow conditions, would appreciate.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I would bring snowmachines unless you have tracks on the wheelers. Snow machines are generally better for the speed and getting into the field quickly. The main issue we are looking at is the ice - water is everywhere and mostly between you and the caribou. Temps through the 22nd look below freezing highs and lows - this about 5 degress colder than last year when the ice was very bad.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Spike

Have the cribou slowed down at all and are the lakes beginning to freeze?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

It looks like the first hunt will be good - many animals are still north of the main herd so we should have a good flow - first time we see the impacts of no early hunt in the north LA1 area by Kisk - or the lack of impact as they would be moved east/west as the hunt began. Laforge is a common route and this hunt is usually very good and it looks like this is what is in the works.

Ice is not good yet - it is forcast for temps down to 0 F a week before and heading down. Some snow is starting and this will keep the ice away - but I think we will see some good ice for running machines.

Note - Mirage also rents machines - very good equipment and excellent in the deep snow. The cost is cheaper verses taking a trailor - gas wise you might break even for a couple day rental depending on where you are comming from.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Spike

Well the new maps are out and it looks like the Caribou are headed for Raddison. I guess the good thing is that they never moved any further south, so they could still come back east before they turn to the south. There are still a few straglers that are far enough east that should pass by Mirage and give us all a great hunt.

What is every ones thoughts???

If you have a license from an outfitter can you hunt north of Raddison if you are in 22B?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Spike

I am coming up from Arizona for the December 1st hunt with Mirage Outfitters. How is it looking? What is the weather like? When I check the weather site it is still looking warmer with not much snow. This is my first winter Caribou hunt. I did a fall one 13 years ago.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.