Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Spike

Default bou hunt

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
Please do not put words in my mouth and if you are having a poor day - keep it to your self.

So the facts - I clearly state not to depend on Nouchimi for gas as thye 1; are not always open and 2; will sometimes run out and when they are low they will only sell to clients.

My information comes from stopping there many times for gas since 2004 - so it is real information. gas up at K381 and you should make it to Mirage and bring some gas incase you range is less than 328 miles - this is the correct advice to gove someone comming up for the first time. If you have ever had and issue - gas, break down accident you would know this and probably should as hunter in thie area.

Mirage always has gas and is open from ~ 0630 to 1930 and they will even help you beyond this if you are in need.

So read the thread closer next time before going off - SIR.

Just wanted to say that bouman is right about gas at nouchimi camp and if you get there before they open they will want to charge you $25 extra to pump gas, and i know this first hand because they tryed to, to my group of hunters when some locals were the ones to get them, but i would not pay it and they were mad but to bad!! i will not stop there for gas any more will take my gas with me and go to mirage, but all should stop at 381 for gas even if you only need a little, will be going again when the hunt dates go back to nov, so good luck to all going this year,
SO LETS GO BOU HUNTING!!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Correction - Mirage gas is open until 2130 NOT 1930 - my fat finger mistake.

Apologies to Mirage and clients!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Spike

Bouman i would like to say thank you again for all the help last year. For all you guys going up for your first trip i would not hesitate for one second to take advice from him, he knows his stuff. Good luck to all of you.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Not a problem - would do it again anytime to help get the Bou - you guys did real well and hope you all can make it back soon

Migration Report -

The map shows the mass of the herd moving North East along the Leaf River - still up in the summering grounds - good sign I think. The more east they are when the notions hit to move south the better the hunt for use along the LA Forge Road where the chances to hunt are greater.

Compared to 2009 at this time the migration is very similar - but really too early to tell as these animals can flock the other way in a week. I recall in 2009 for the Dec 1 hunt the animals did not come down to the TTR and were milling above LA1 to LG4 - we had to ride a ways to get them but hte hunting was still very good - better than havign them south towards Eastmain River as they are out of reach.

Funny - the MRNF guys told me the herd looks good and the number of tags are down - thye must have forgotten the reason not many tags are sold is the outfitters have been restricted, both in tags and season length. Tough to run a business with a 50% reduction in sales opportunities.

The weather forcast is also more normal - snow and cold like it should be - we cannot wait.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Spike

Hey Bou hunters- I'm looking into a bouhunt next year for me and a few other hunters. I have a few questions if any of you care to share your experience.
1) How does Radisson, Nouchimi compare with Mirage and KisKim?
2) How is the quality of bulls at this time of the year? Is there a good chance of getting something worth getting a mount done?
3) Do the camps have an idea of where the bou are located?
Thanks!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dean7x57
Hey Bou hunters- I'm looking into a bouhunt next year for me and a few other hunters. I have a few questions if any of you care to share your experience.
1) How does Radisson, Nouchimi compare with Mirage and KisKim?
2) How is the quality of bulls at this time of the year? Is there a good chance of getting something worth getting a mount done?
3) Do the camps have an idea of where the bou are located?
Thanks!!!
dean7x57- one think i can say about bou hunting it is addicting and you just can't go one time, with that said the camps radisson have never stayed thair nouchimi its ok mirage is a very nice place as is kiskimaastakin have hunted out of kiss 7 times,as far as big bulls go there will be some most have shead the antlers as for the time of the hunt now i think its to late and to much money for a maybe we will see bou or not, being december hunt time, november hunt is much better, as for your last question i know that paul from kiskimaastkin will know were the bou are, i know first hand as i lost a bet with him!! 2 times. if you hit the migration right it will be the most amazing thing you will ever see. so get your guns and hunting gear ready for a great time, and very cold temps. SO LETS GO BOU HUNTING!!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Spike

We stayed at Mirage last year mid December. The lodge was clean, warm, and lots of food. Unfortunately there were not many caribou close to the lodge so it meant renting a snowmobile/guide and a substantial drive to find them. Apparently the year before you couldn't drive 20 miles down the road without seeing hundreds of them. The camps know exactly where the animals are and they will do their best to get you to them. We didn't see any big sets of antlers but there were still lots of them with headgear. Make sure you know where your rifle is hitting at 200-300 yards because our shots were out this far. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Spike

Hey Thanks!! Great info!!! Yea, I would like to be up there on the first day of the season. There might be a few more with nice racks. I'll be using an 8x64s Brenneke so 200 to 300 should be ok. How would guys describe the drive up there at that time of the year? Thanks again for the response, it really helps.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Spike

Default bou hunt drive

Hey Thanks!! Great info!!! Yea, I would like to be up there on the first day of the season. There might be a few more with nice racks. I'll be using an 8x64s Brenneke so 200 to 300 should be ok. How would guys describe the drive up there at that time of the year? Thanks again for the response, it really helps.
Dean-the roads will be snow covered and icey they do keep them plowed, make sure you have very good tires on your truck and take tire chains for all four of your tires, will most likely have lots of snow also, if you would like more info you can e-mail me at [email protected] as i have hunted up there many times, so have a great time, and LETS GO BOU HUNTING!!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Spike

The drive there was actually not bad at all but last year was unseasonably mild. Be prepared for icy snow covered roads for the long haul. Not sure if others were using studded tires but we were passed by lots of vehicles that seemed to go around icy corners as if they were on rails! Make sure all your gear is well fastened down and well tarped as roads will be wet and slushy. Extra tarps (clean) for the caribou are a good idea as well. We brought 5- 5 gallon cans of gas, which were a pain in the butt but essential in the remote areas. I brought a massive thermos that I filled at Timmies before leaving that sure made the drive more bearable and don't forget lots of music as radio stations are unreliable.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.