Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by wormwhisperer
Worm thank u for the straight facts on paper.I will hunting in the 22b hunting zone in late nov with mirage.and they tell me everything is fine and hunting will continue.so my question is in zone 22b they cut the permits by 25 percent if I am booked with mirage on 22b will that affect me.do the people that booked a year in advance get the permits.what does it comes down to is I so want the opportunity to harvest my first caribou.and don't want to be taken for a deposit.what is peoples opinion on the 22b.thanks beardog
Old 03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by beardog 836
Worm thank u for the straight facts on paper.I will hunting in the 22b hunting zone in late nov with mirage.and they tell me everything is fine and hunting will continue.so my question is in zone 22b they cut the permits by 25 percent if I am booked with mirage on 22b will that affect me.do the people that booked a year in advance get the permits.what does it comes down to is I so want the opportunity to harvest my first caribou.and don't want to be taken for a deposit.what is peoples opinion on the 22b.thanks beardog
Thank you beardog and worm, I looked at the we site and I am now a little concerned for this years hunt. We are scheduled to hunt Nov 18-22 with Nochimi, but I see on the link posted that the season will be from Dec1 to Jan 15.
Can anyone provide some information on this, it looks like they will not offer the early hunting dates.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hunter Dave
Thank you beardog and worm, I looked at the we site and I am now a little concerned for this years hunt. We are scheduled to hunt Nov 18-22 with Nochimi, but I see on the link posted that the season will be from Dec1 to Jan 15.
Can anyone provide some information on this, it looks like they will not offer the early hunting dates.
Hunter dave I talk to mirage today and they are still trying to figure it out.I think they will offer the hunt in dec but I will not accept that due to lack of horns in dec.hope I get a refund.I booked in nov and have a group of four after nov forget it.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM
pjd
Spike

Nouchimi emailed me today to clarify that yes the season starts on Dec. 1st and that the outfitters have requested a meeting with the Goverment to get the new dates changed back to opening on Nov. 15th. Myself i would not go any other time than in Nov. due to the lack of horns in Dec. Will keep you posted on anything i hear
Old 03-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Spike

HI ALL BOU hunters iam hearing the same thing the outfitters are trying to get it change back, camp kiskimaastakin told me that they would get back with me as soon as they know anyting diffrent, as for hunting in december it can be good but most of the time the bou are long gone by then, remember in 2009 the bou were gone by the first of nov, very few left to hunt if any at all, with no big bulls, i think they will hurt the outfitters if they do not change it back, but i hear that the tribes also have a say in it so we will see in a week or so maybe. you guys that have money out should get in contact with the outfitter you book with they should refund money but remember they don't have to. i hope it all turns out for the better for all of us bou hunters.
happy hunting this season.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Spike

Huntcaribou, not sure how this will turn out, the second part of the new release is that you can not shoot anterless caribou if they wait till Dec to start there will not be many horns left to hunt,and that if they have not already migrated through.
How is this going to work, they may as well just close the season
Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default bou

Originally Posted by Hunter Dave
Huntcaribou, not sure how this will turn out, the second part of the new release is that you can not shoot anterless caribou if they wait till Dec to start there will not be many horns left to hunt,and that if they have not already migrated through.
How is this going to work, they may as well just close the season

hunter dave- you are right forgot about the anterless, and i know that by dec most if not all bou are long gone with a few local bou around but most are cows&calfs, you could shoot cows/small bulls
but not calfs, i look at it like this if i spend the money and time iam going to take meat home at the least, i have got a lot of very nice bulls with big antlers, one i got in 07 just missed makeing the books by 35points , and you can't eat the antlers anyway, as for not haveing a season that might happen, guess i will have to fine some other game to hunt, would hate that because i love bou hunting so, keep your fingers crossed, will let you all know anything i here new.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntcaribou
hunter dave- you are right forgot about the anterless, and i know that by dec most if not all bou are long gone with a few local bou around but most are cows&calfs, you could shoot cows/small bulls
but not calfs, i look at it like this if i spend the money and time iam going to take meat home at the least, i have got a lot of very nice bulls with big antlers, one i got in 07 just missed makeing the books by 35points , and you can't eat the antlers anyway, as for not haveing a season that might happen, guess i will have to fine some other game to hunt, would hate that because i love bou hunting so, keep your fingers crossed, will let you all know anything i here new.
Talk to mirage again today. They say they are still fighting.its not going to help them law is already written in stone.I ask about refund and they keep avoiding the question. Say they can't give me a answer on that yet.wth
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i saw the mirage people at the fish and game show. no wonder why the prices were so good. i hope you get your money back.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 AM
pjd
Spike

Default caribou issue

The Government of QC IS Reducing drastically the Season. Promping Outfitters like Mirage and others to Consider Declaring Bancruptcy.

-----

http://lejournaldequebec.canoe.ca/sp...02-195638.html

Measures affecting the caribou herd on the Leaf River will result in the collapse of several outfitters.

Or so asserts an outfitter in the light of measures announced last week by the Minister for Natural Resources and Wildlife, Serge Simard.

"They cut our six-week season, reduce the number of permits available and ask us to continue our business as if nothing had happened. Well, for me, it's just the key in the door, "said Luc Aubin, the Mirage Outfitter.

"I asked the director of the Nord-du-Québec MRNF Guy Hetu, how he was going to live if she was cutting 75% of his paycheck. He did not respond. In doing so, the government wants our loss and he will simply have it. "

The position of Mr. Aubin is supported by a letter from the Federation of Quebec Outfitters sent to the Minister Simard and where it says: "These measures will have a major impact on the operation of all the outfitters and irreversibly to the viability of some businesses. "

In the case of the winter hunt is the largest segment operated by the outfitter Mirage, the Federation added: "The winter season is reduced by 50% from three months to one and a half months, starting by the first fortnight in which a significant portion of the hunting pressure. For some companies, this is a major limitation that compromises their survival. Among the affected outfitters, some indigenous, as Nuchimi (Cree Outfitting) and Kiskimaastakin.

Same thing for fall

For outfitters who operate their fall hunting, the pill is just as bitter.

"In the case of the fall hunting season, is 66.6% of the season is lost, leaving only 30 days of operation to recoup the annual operation of the outfitting," it said in the Earth Federation. It also explains that with the declining number of permits available, 25% more precisely, it was not necessary to cut the duration of the season.

Several other problems arise, such as staffing of outfitters for only four weeks. Also, many providers will not be able to deliver the commitments they have already taken with the hunters.

"They take us for what. It's been four months is expected to come after them to get a stupid answer, launches Alain Tardif Leaf River Outfitters. They have absolutely no respect for hunters who have been sold trips for the month of August, mostly to fathers who want to make a hunting trip with their son or daughter before the school starts. After that, we are asked to take care of the slack. All these problems are going to bankrupt us and I know I am not alone in this position. "

Disrespect

Over the years, the Journal was able to attend meetings between the North and providers responsible for the MNR file caribou.

Since 2000, providers reported the presence of diseased animals, thousands of caribou or caribou found dead who fell dead after crossing a lake or river. Despite all this inside information from people who spent several months in the field, the contact for the MNR, Denis Vandal, minimized the while saying that there was no cause for alarm. Yet 10 years later, it's a catastrophe on the same charge.

Where are the biological data?

The authorities have always stated that MNR had biological data before taking action on a given animal population. This was the case for management plans for moose, deer or black bear. In the case of the caribou herd Leaf River, authorities MRNF have no biological data since the inventory will be done until next summer. So why have acted so quickly and with such drastic measures without knowing?

Wild turkeys

The Quebec Federation of Anglers and Hunters is continuing its project to reintroduce the wild turkey in other regions of Quebec. Thus, birds were captured and released in Ottawa Centre-du-Québec and Mauricie. A total of 46 turkeys have changed setting to allow the species to expand into other regions. For many years, the Federation works to relocate this species in the province of Quebec. The species had been eliminated due to over-hunting in the new measures passé.Les

Here is the statement of the measures announced yesterday by the Minister in the case of the caribou herd for the Leaf River.

1 - For 22A and B areas, the hunting season is from December 1 to January 15 and will be forbidden to kill a caribou antlerless. (Reduced from six weeks)

2 - For Area 22A, the number of permits increased from 2,000 to 500, representing a decrease of 75%. These licenses will be awarded by random drawing exclusively for Quebecers.

3 - In the 22B (outfitter), the number of permits will be reduced by 25% compared to the number of licenses sold in 2009.

4-In Zone 23 North, two new zones will be created, namely the 23 West (where there are white hunters) and the area is (Inuit). In the western zone 23, the number of permits will also be reduced by 25% always according to sales figures for 2009 (not in the east). Hunting season is from September 1 to October 1.

5-A hunter can no longer hunt in several areas and the annual limit is two caribou per hunter.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.