Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Spike

just got back a couple hours ago from kisk. tagged out day 2 all cows. very few bulls being killed. killed my second one out of a group of about 30 and not a bull in the bunch. gas is cheapest at mirage. nouchimi the highest at $1.80. also got hassled at the border cause i didn't have a registration slip for my gun before i left. if you dont have one they want to think you bought it in canada and want tax for it. guy inside was decent and gave me the slip in case i go back. this is the first time i had this problem in 4 trips with guns across the border. kilometer 80 area north of kisk is about the best right now and heavily hunted but not bad off the road a way. saw lots of fox 4 wolves ptarmigans a moose and rabbits. as they said at camp, dont be too picky until you get the first one. day one we saw one small one. there are caribou but not everywhere and not running steady streams like on tv. resident area looked great, about 80 km of tracks, not many hunters and did see a decent bull there.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Spike

Great report Bob, sounds like you had a good time and sucessful trip.
Do you think the bulls are still up north or are they more west in the resident zone.
Where do you think the main herd is, is it passing through to the west?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike

They claim there are still more north of kisk waiting to come through. there are definitely caribou west in the resident zone. there were a lot of tracks there and for a long way on the road. hunters before us said it was tough but they were starting through and that we got there at the right time. the 17th was a big day for them with a lot killed. the 19th when i tagged out there were plenty killed also. if i had to hazard a guess i would say there are still plenty north of kisk, but you will never get a map to verify that now.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Spike

You are 100% right about the maps Bob, even the latest maps before they decided to charge for them gave only limited information of where the caribou were.
If the maps you buy are the same, then it is more important then ever that hunters communicate with each other for information.
Does anyone know the reason why they went to limited information, my guess is that the operators don't want their hunters to know where the herd is.
A map showing all the caribou going through the resident zone a week before the winter season opens could cause alot of cancelations and thousands of dollars to the operators.
This is only my guess, I don't know and may be way off base, but it sure would be interesting to know.
I know I looked forward to the new maps coming out and it built excitement and anticipation toward the hunt.
Lets keep the reports coming, tell us how you made out guys.
Good luck to everyone
Old 11-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Spike

Headed to Mirage Sunday they said the main herd hasn't come through yet and they only have 5" of snow. Will report when we return!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Spike

When we went through mirage area there were no caribou. even hunters from nouchimi were north of kisk. on the way back there were a few tracks near mirage close to the border of the hunt zones. hope there are plenty handy when you get there westford.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Spike

Boy that doesn't sound too encouraging Bob in PA thanks for the update! Anyone ever ice fish up there before?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

The main herd is still north of Kisk an comming down. Plenty of browse above the tree line and not much snow so they are staying up. One split is towards LG3 and the main is still above LA1/2. Looks like 30th hunt should be good along and west of Laforge road.

WH - see you at Mirage - we arrive Monday night and will be in the field Tue morning. RED for F150 with NH plates and wood rack+snow machine on back.

Drive Safe
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 AM
Spike

Bouman We arrive Mon. also see you there we are driving a red dodge ram ex cab with cap and NY plates . GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Not making the trip this year. First time in ten years I missed. There will be four guys from our group arriving at Mirage Monday night. Sounds like this could be a good year according to posts from those getting back. Hope things at Mirage are more customer friendly being back under old management. Stay safe, watch the thin ice and hopefully there are some big bulls with horns out there. I'll be watching for results.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.