Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Spike

Hi guys , Not much going on here going to Kisk this year 15th - 18th / Have been last 3 years all about Nov. 20th /07 was great /08 was a struggle but most of us (12) tagged out / 09 was BAD not many animals at all did not even see tracks on the road in ,we got 4 out of 8 guys. The maps look ok this year hope they slow down abit ,if they stay spread like the map appears there will hopfully be animals for each group making the trip I dont belive the lakes are frozen I know as of 10/31 there wasn't much snow either GOOD LUCK
Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Spike

hey Page 214 of 214 « First < 114 164 204 212 213 214

Today, 09:02 PM #2131
hey SLOKIE who are you going up to hunt with? We are going to Kiss the 22nd. The maps are looking good if they dont blow by.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

So - it is tough to see the herd migration with limiting the 50 animals collared to only showing 9 and the selection by the MRNF is designed to lessen the hunting success by the natives who take quite a few early and often using the maps. So I think they are picking the animals based on a few that do not really show the herd trends and where they are heading.

But if you look at the general spread it is similar to 2007 and 2004 at this same time. Seems like patterns get repeated adn this may be a year they keep east along LA2 since they have not browsed this area for a few years. The lands above LG3 ahve been hit the last 2-3 years hard and remember this is above the tree line where they are until early November so the land gets beat up by this many animals hitting it year to year. The usually come (in split groups of many thousaands) down along a series or ridges that feed into the valley and begining woods between LA1 and LA2. In this case I think the hunting on Laforge road is good - and also the Kisk Road and out east on the TTR should have good results. The guides in all the lodges like to hit then along the powerlines where the follow from Laforge down to LG3 station. This pushes them north and south - back up to the Kisk Road and also forcing crossings from TTR ~ km390 to Km358 by Mirage. Any animals head west if here will skirt the powerlines as the river is not crossable within about 3 Km of the TTR at Pont Polaris.

I think hunting should be good (road with little woods hunting) from 15 NOV - 01 Dec or so. Water will keep them back and the ponds are not frozen at all - average temp is 1 and it is hitting 3-5 durign the day. Looking to see how this changes next week as some cold is funneling down.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Caribou

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
So - it is tough to see the herd migration with limiting the 50 animals collared to only showing 9 and the selection by the MRNF is designed to lessen the hunting success by the natives who take quite a few early and often using the maps. So I think they are picking the animals based on a few that do not really show the herd trends and where they are heading.

But if you look at the general spread it is similar to 2007 and 2004 at this same time. Seems like patterns get repeated adn this may be a year they keep east along LA2 since they have not browsed this area for a few years. The lands above LG3 ahve been hit the last 2-3 years hard and remember this is above the tree line where they are until early November so the land gets beat up by this many animals hitting it year to year. The usually come (in split groups of many thousaands) down along a series or ridges that feed into the valley and begining woods between LA1 and LA2. In this case I think the hunting on Laforge road is good - and also the Kisk Road and out east on the TTR should have good results. The guides in all the lodges like to hit then along the powerlines where the follow from Laforge down to LG3 station. This pushes them north and south - back up to the Kisk Road and also forcing crossings from TTR ~ km390 to Km358 by Mirage. Any animals head west if here will skirt the powerlines as the river is not crossable within about 3 Km of the TTR at Pont Polaris.

I think hunting should be good (road with little woods hunting) from 15 NOV - 01 Dec or so. Water will keep them back and the ponds are not frozen at all - average temp is 1 and it is hitting 3-5 durign the day. Looking to see how this changes next week as some cold is funneling down.
Thank you sir! Can't wait.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Spike

morebam Getting into Kisk on the 13th , I like the analogy that bouman put out for us , I am in hopes of learning the area around Kisk this year stayed at nochimi 2 years great people just to far to drive to 22B / stayed at donats last year NEVER AGAIN / from what we see and here Kisk is the place hope to settle in there with my 3 sons and son-in law for the years ahead GOOD LUCK
Old 11-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Spike

Default migration

Nord QC Bouman,
Thanks for all the information, in your note you said that non of the lakes or ponds are frozen at this time. Could you tell me if there is any snow we are planning to bring a snowmobile for the hunt, not sure if it would be worth while.
The weather forecast is showing some light snow but not sure if it is enough.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

The snow has only been light at night and is not holding during the day as it has been a few above freezing. Big thing is the water - take a look at a terrain in google and all you see is water - without frozen ponds and streams you cannot go anywhere and mainly hunt off the road and some ridges. It looks like some snow is happeing later this week and also right when you are going to be in the zoce - 19-20 Nov. It is also going cold by the 19th all day and should be around -3 and colder at night. Hopefully you will have some ice and it will snow everynight and stay if days are cold. I woulfd bring the snow machines - watch the the res. as these will not be ridable no matter how they look from the edge. I think you guys will see some good snow fall during your trip - fun in the taiga - nothing like it.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Spike

Nord Bowman, thanks again for all of the information, I have been up a few times but never seen it with out snow. Hope the weater forcast hold out and snow does make it in time. In one of your last notes you mentioned the Laforge Road is this road maintained durning the winter?
Yes your right the its a great huunt can't wait.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Spike

Default maps

Well the new map is out looks like the first hunters should have a good time. Has anyone talked to there outfitters yet. It looks like they are running the same pattern as last year staying to the west.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Caribou

Originally Posted by Hunter Dave
Well the new map is out looks like the first hunters should have a good time. Has anyone talked to there outfitters yet. It looks like they are running the same pattern as last year staying to the west.
Talked to mine. They said there will be plenty to go around.

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.